Skip to main content

The Iron Buffalo

    Hey, everyone. Hope you are having a good week. I was looking through some pictures from my trip to Wyoming and Colorado. I came across this pic of an iron sculpture of a buffalo that is on a hill, just off I-40 in Texas.
    When I saw it, I got a kick out of it. I think it's great that someone would go to the trouble. Then I started thinking about the real buffalo that almost covered The Great Plains until the 1860's. Yes, that's correct. I was a young boy at that time. Ha, ha.
    As you know, the Indians lived off the buffalo and only killed what they needed. There were millions of the great shaggy beasts and sometimes you might have to wait for several days for a herd to pass. Then there was suddenly a market for buffalo robes and the slaughter began. People killed them and skinned them and shipped their hides back east to sell. Many of them were sent to Europe. Sort of a novelty, I suppose, but they were certainly warm. The great herds dwindled and the Indians went to war against the whites over the carnage. To show our fairness, we just slaughtered the Indians as well. It's not a part of our heritage I'm particularly proud of.
    If you want to read a good book on the subject, may I recommend The Thundering Herd by Zane Grey?
    Nowadays, as you cross the Great Plains, you may still see a buffalo. He'll just be all alone and made of iron. Keeping his lonely vigil, up on a hill.
    I'm part Indian and part white, and my name is CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...