Skip to main content

Game Review: PetsWar

    Hey everyone.  I recently tried a new game for I-Pad, I-Phone and I-Pod. The name of it is PetsWar, as you may have guessed from the title. It is available for free on the app store. The paid version is only 99 cents.
    This game is a Tower Defense game. For those of us who are new to modern gaming, let me say that this means you have pieces that are defending your turf from invaders. This game is remarkably similar to Plants Vs. Zombies which is one of the top ten games on the planet, in my opinion. Although this game can not be compared to Zombies in polish, cuteness, playability or graphics, it certainly can beat Zombies in price. For a free game it is very good and fun. I would think it is a great game to sit down and play along with your young children. Heck, I enjoy it quite a bit myself. In fact I liked it enough to splurge and buy the paid version for a hard-earned dollar. Here's the recipe for the game.
     Your turf is being invaded by a lot of cute but undesirable creatures who have been led astray by an evil magician. There are trees that walk and beat on things. They and their comrades, who arrive as the game progresses through it's 30 levels, are trying to penetrate your defenses. Your defenders are your animal pals, your pets. There are many choices of friends as the game goes along. For instance, you can choose a scaredy  cat which throws fireballs at the invaders until they get close. Then he cowers down and lets them do their thing. Obviously he is not as valuable as the exploding tomatoes that can wreak havoc on your enemies.
      One thing I like about this game is that it constantly changes in the abilities and types of both defenders and attackers. Even the playing field changes. As an example of this, there is a parabellum field which is curved. The normal missiles which your defenders hurl are almost useless because they can't deal with a curved world.
     Is this as good a game as Plants vs. Zombies? NOooooo. Is it remotely as intense as Rage? Please! No, nor is any other game for I-Pad. Rage is the best game I have ever played. It is head and shoulders better than the highly touted Dead Space. But back to PetsWar. The point of this missive is to tell you that you should try the free version of this and if you like it you can buy it for 99 cents. I think it is a fun game for the money, even though I'm sure it won't appeal to hard-core gamers.
     I have a couple of new books that are going on I-Books and Barnes and Noble this weekend, so I expect a lot of new folks hitting this blog. I'd like to say that you guys are as welcome as May flowers. If you haven't been checking out this blog much, may I suggest a few posts that you might like? I'll fix a list of ten favorites and post it for tomorrow. For now, check out the list to the right and scroll down to the blog archives. Try a few of the ones from May, 2010, like Walking In The Rain or Snakes That Fly. They are true stories of things that have happened to me, here at the green retreat.
     I hope you have a great weekend!  I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...