Skip to main content

Flutterby

    Hey, everyone out there in the ether. Carley recently took this photo of a butterfly on our butterfly bush. These bushes attract butterflies. Ours is ten feet tall and covered with purple blooms. When the kids were little they called these creatures flutterbys, which is not a word, but is descriptive.
   It's a little bit slow on the gaming front for the last couple of weeks. Not a lot of exciting new games coming out. Still, tonight is Wednesday and some new ones will be available around 11 o'clock eastern time.
     Our weather has been milder here at the green retreat. Mid eighties; the temperature, not the decade. Not bad for August, especially after that 104, 105 stretch we went through.
    I look forward to not having to mow grass for a few months. Unfortunately, the trees lose their leaves and Mother Nature tends to look ... well... naked. I will soon wish that I had done more this summer. I'll think about all the neat places I could have gone. Realizing this, will I pack up and drive to some cool place like the beach or a national park? Perhaps. Perhaps not.
    The other day, I went through my music library and picked out a few songs for the grand-kids. I thought that they might like to hear what the old folks thought was good, back in the day. (In reality, they probably are not interested.) They really like The Beatles, since the Guitar Hero thing came out with Beatles songs, I guess. I've never played it. The thing is, I found that I had picked out around 400 songs. I used all the blank CD's I had, about 14, and I didn't have enough to finish.
      A few months ago, one of the grand-kids asked me a question. She's a really smart kid and a thinker. She was observing me and her grandmother. She asked wistfully, "Papa, do you still think Granny is beautiful?"
    I said, "Of course, honey. She'll always be beautiful to me."
It bothered me a bit. Was she already trying to deal with the idea that beauty is fleeting? With the shallowness of people and their concern with appearance, rather than the quality of the inner person? I don't know. Love should not be like the fickle butterfly, going from one pretty bloom to another. If that is the extent of it, love would be pretty shabby,don't you think?
    From the writer's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...