Skip to main content

The Gold

    Hey, everyone. Like most people, I have been watching some of the Olympics. I have enjoyed the games very much and have a few comments to make.
    The swimming competitions have been thrilling. I have cheered for my countrymen, of course. Men and ladies have bagged a lot of medals. Phelps is a wonder. I thought back to the days when I was thrilled by Mark Spitz as he swam his way to glory. Phelps has eclipsed his accomplishments. The gentleman from France, Agnel, (hope I spelled that right) had a thrilling effort when he overhauled everyone and won the Gold, several days ago. I was on the edge of my seat. And the young lady from America, Missy Franklin, charmed everyone with her excitement and ability.
    I was amused when I read, early in the games, that Lochte had 'failed' in a particular race. These kids haven't failed. Anyone who has made it to the Olympics is a champion. In fact, anyone who competes in sport is a winner. The essence of sport, we forget, is about exercise, good fellowship, fun and competition. I hate the modern notion of "you've failed because you weren't the best". In the NFL, for instance, you have 32 teams. You may go all the way to the Super Bowl and be labeled a failure for losing the game. The Buffalo Bills went several times and didn't win it. Did that make them failures? Ridiculous.
    As far as I am concerned, all these kids deserve the Gold Medal. What a thrill to watch thousands rise to their feet in the final few meters of a race. The place is going crazy! Great fun.
    The ideal of the medals is also interesting. These temporal things are just a physical manifestation of something more important. The idea of a reward for hard work, dedication and maximum effort, being rewarded, or not, much like in life itself. In life, you may do all these things and not achieve great success, although they are certainly all great attributes to a personality and a life. The change on the inside is more important than possible commercials and endorsement deals. Hard work produces perseverance and perseverance produces character. These youngsters are all winners.
     I hate that the games have been marred by controversy, but anytime enough people get together there will be problems. The badminton issues, with athletes 'throwing games' to get a more favorable match later. A coach being chastised by his own government. Judging issues that crush hopes; whether the judges were right or wrong, I can't say. I do remember, many decades ago, when judging was very political, East Versus West sort of problems, that detracted from any event that was not like a simple test of speed in a race, for example. I also remember the time when America's athletes, who had worked so hard, for so long, were forced to stay home and not play in Moscow, because of political issues. That is not what the Games are about. Let's leave the politics at the door, like the baggage it is.
    All in all, it has been a great Olympics and London has put on a show. My congratulations to them.
   One final note. I saw on Google News this morning where the double amputee from South Africa, Oscar Pistorius had qualified to race in the semi-finals of his event. It brings tears to my eyes to see someone who is looking for a way, not for an excuse. This guy was a champion before he set foot on British soil. He embodies what is great and sweet about sports and life. I salute him, and the Olympic Games. Good day.
    Wiping the tears off my keyboard as I think about this guy, I am CE Wills.
P.S. Congratulations to Miss Williams for her Gold Medal in tennis.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...