Skip to main content

So, You Got An I-Pad For Christmas?

    Hey, everyone. I thought I'd update an earlier post about apps you should get for your brand new Christmas device from Apple. You might need a little help spending your Christmas money. The app store is one of the great things about having an I-Pad. A central, convenient and relatively cheap place to buy toys is hard to beat. Just ask all the folks spending $50 for x-box games. I've jotted down a few apps and games you might like. Keep in mind that the I-Phone version of the same game will cost about one third of the price of the I-Pad game and will play just fine. Also, the prices go up and down with sales, so don't get mad at me, okay?
1. Stanza- the best app for books, probably. It has listings of free books, enough to keep you busy for years. There's a version for your PC as well.
2.Plants vs. Zombies-99 cents. The best game on the store, plus no blood and gore.
3.Angry Birds-99 cents. One of the most popular games in the world. The HD version will cost you another $4. Thirty-six million people have bought it.
4.Angry Birds Halloween- an additional 45 levels of irritated aviators. 99 cents
5.Fragger-99 cents Throw grenades, blow stuff up. A great value.
6.I-Books-free. I like it better than Amazon in some ways. For instance, it's easy to delete books. Barnes and Noble or Amazon will drive you nuts trying to clear the shelf.
7. Amazon-free. Everyone knows and likes Amazon. They have free books, too. In fact all the book apps have free books.
8.CBS Pro Football- For the sports fan, a very cool app, with updates to describe plays that just happened. I forgot to mention it's free. Update here: They recently sent out a new update which inserted ads. I immediately deleted it.
9.Carnivores, Dinosaur Hunter. A must for all hunters or shooting game enthusiasts. You even have to be careful to approach your prey with the wind in your face, or you may be the prey. $2.99 Possibly the best game I ever played.
10.Treasures of Montezuma-$1.99 My wife won't put the game down. Match icons that blow up and stuff like that.
11.Ragdoll Blaster HD-$1.99 More physics involved than you'll get from a lot of courses in school. I highly recommend it. Someone went to an enormous amount of effort to make a cool game.
12.Pages-$9.99 It's the poor man's Microsoft Word. I love the way you can place the pictures in text and other things. The problem for a writer of ebooks is, you have to have your books in Microsoft Word to upload them.
13.Real Racing HD-$9.99 The best Racing game on the app store. Update: It's no longer the best racing game on the store. See below.
14.Juxtaposer-$2.99 A terrific photo editing tool, or should I say toy? Put a dog's head on your Dad or whatever.
15.Crazy Booth-free. Lots of cool photo effects.
16.Bookworm-$2.99 pick words out of a group of letters before the flaming letters hit the bottom.
17.Ultimate Hangman-99 cents. Super cute animated guy calls you a loser if you don't save him.
18.Cut the Rope- Get the candy to the frog's mouth by solving physics problems. 99 cents.
19.Virtuoso Piano-free. Yes, you can really play songs on it.
20.Pulse-free. a great news feeder developed by two students at Stanford. That has to be a great school. I love the app. I put my own blog on it. It gives you these lines of little squares that you tap to read the text. If you want to read the full article or see the pics you tap another button to go on-line to the site. What's cool about this is that even if you're in the middle of the desert you can read anything it loaded the last time you had it turned on.
    Keep in mind that most of these games have a free version. That's the smart way to find good games, try before you buy. Type the game title into you-tube. There will be a ten year old that will show you if it's cool or not. Read the reviews on the app store. They help but not everyone has the same taste in games. Plus, what if the maker of the game had all their employees' cousins send in a great review? I read the reviews titled 'most critical'. Once I bought an app everyone loved called Fruit Ninja. I hated it. $4.99 down the drain.
    All the apps listed above come to $38. That's if you don't get the free version available for most of them. Enough games to keep you busy until July. With enough money left over to buy KGB Retirement Plan by CE Wills, a book I recommend. 
   From the green retreat, I'm CE Wills.
    UPDATE: I've found a lot of newer games I recommend. So this is an addendum to the original post. This may be a bit repetitive, as I've done a review on some of them. My thought was, with several million people with a new device for Christmas this might be of help.
1.Brothers In Arms 2. 99 cents on sale. A great value and a great game. WW2 shooter. Intense action, challenging and fun. Wow!
2.Need For Speed Shift. 99 cents on sale. Possibly the best racing game on the app store or anywhere else.
3. Need For Speed, Hot Pursuit. 99 cents on sale. I'll use some overused words here. This game is awesome. They just gave an update which allows you to choose if you want to be a cop or a robber in a car chase. Either way, this game will make you lay it down and say, WOW!!!
4. 10 Talismans. Similar to other match 3 games but it's a lot of fun for puzzle lovers. My wife is currently and for several days, absorbed in it. For a $1.99, it's a no brainer.
5.Stick Golf HD. Free. A fun game, a challenging game, a free game. 'Nuff said.
6. Talking Tom Cat. Free. This cat drinks milk, mimics every word you say, and falls down unconscious if you tap his head. Recently I saw some kids that would have a ball with it. They'd laugh, the cat would laugh, that would crack the kids up and they'd laugh again. Very cute.
7. Battlefield; Bad Company 2. Another great shooter game. When I play games I project myself into the role, as you can see from my post called The Stalk. In this game I'm with my brothers and 'I'll spill the same blood in the same mud'. May be just a shade lower on the scale than the previously mentioned Brothers In Arms. Still, I highly recommend it.
     Well, that's it. Don't get busy playing games and forget to eat. From the gaming place, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio