Skip to main content

Life Is What Happens While You're Making Plans

    Hey, everyone. It's a late night thing again. I got out of bed to read a bit. My wife had picked up a copy of Rolling Stone for me because I wanted to read the John Lennon interview. I just finished it as I sat here in the study where the light is better. It's between five and six in the morning.
    I enjoyed the article very much and there was an article that Yoko Lennon wrote which described their last days together. I enjoyed both articles very much. It's funny, looking back. I never thought about the two of them facing the racial intolerance thing due to the mixed racial marriage. This is odd because I remember John's song, The Ballad Of John And Yoko which describes the lack of acceptance from people and governments. Especially as a young person, I never really thought about people other than as a person and I never thought of myself as a white guy, just as a guy. Besides, the males of my generation always thought of Japanese and Chinese women as incredibly hot, so what's the uproar about? That was probably due in part to movies like James Bond and a little later the TV miniseries called Shogun. (A terrific video) One thing is clear from these interviews, John was devoted to his wife and its hard for me to fault a guy for that.
    John talked about what he perceived as his failures as a parent. He felt that artistic people were inherently selfish and that the giving of time to his son was difficult. He said that he found it tough sledding to play with his son and that he wasn't skilled at it. I would never have thought this, just judging by the times I've seen him clowning around with the Beatles on set.
    Fame and critics were discussed and I got the impression that John was quite aware of the danger that nut-cases presented to him. During the interview, Yoko came in and said that there had just been a call from someone who identified himself as George Harrison who wanted to come over. She had called George's house and had been told that George was asleep and that the caller had not been him. On the critics discussion, I got the impression that John was a trifle bitter about some of his press but that he was remarkably philosophical about the whole thing.
    For a guy my age it was great to get this glimpse into John's thinking and I'd recommend it to you. It's the December issue of the magazine and it has John on the cover.
    This post, the article and my life, in a limited way, remind me of a terrific song by the Bellamy Brothers called He's An Old Hippy. The best part of that song goes, He was sure back in the sixties, that everyone was hip; then they sent him off to Vietnam, for his senior trip. I remember those days well. They had a draft lottery my senior year of high school. Every birthday was given a number and then they were pulled out, one number at a time, to see the order of being drafted, and of course sent to Vietnam. Even before my graduation, friends of mine were coming back from that senior trip in body bags.
     It was a turbulent time with lots of social changes and I explore it at length in a novel which is finished but I haven't even started typing.
    To put an end to the post let me say that I liked John's music and that's enough. I like to narrow the view of things. Is the man a writer? Do I like his writing? I don't have to have perfection from people that produce things I like. Indeed, their personal life is none of my business. Take Bret Favre, for instance. I've enjoyed watching him play football for a number of years. The personal stuff does not detract from that. When I was young I'd make friends with anyone. What did I care about their peculiarities? The issue was how they treated me. Many times now, I look back and admire some of my simplistic ways from the early years but as John Lennon once said, "Life is what happens while we're making plans."
    From the green retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio