Skip to main content

Mixed Feelings About Total Recall Game

   Hey, everyone. I downloaded several games today, with it being Friday and all the new games floating around. I got one for 99 cents that is sort of an odd duck. It is the game published as a promotional thing for the latest flick titled Total Recall. You older heads will remember this as a sci-fi movie of your youth with Arnold Schwarzenegger. I think my best memory of that movie was a scene with Sharon Stone...
    The game is a shooter game, and standard shooter fare. I started playing it and my initial thoughts were that I might not review it because I don't review games that I don't at least have some good things to say about them. As I continued to play it, I decided it was okay. Then I decided it was pretty good, not great, but worth the 99 centabos, certainly. Here's the recipe.
    The game follows the script of the movie, basically. You are being pursued by nefarious storm trooper wannabees through the sordid side of town. You have a primary and a secondary weapon, which you can buy with in-game cash. They give you enough dinero so that you can buy a handgun. After some early success, you buy yourself the MP4. This is much better and I hope you like it because, unless you drag out that crusty wallet and buy an in-app, the MP4 will be used for a while.
     I had an early problem in that I couldn't figure out how to pick up items like ammo and cash that was floating in the air. I was trying to shoot them, like in Rage. When I finally realized that I had to tap them with my finger, things went better. I can only say that this game is an on-rails shooter (means you can't roam freely), like Rage, and I thought that I should shoot the pick-em-ups. Not that this game can compare to Rage in game-play or graphics.
    The controls are a bit clunky, also. I do like the fact that you have a scope which you can pop up with a tap. This helps. It's funny, I complained about the auto-aiming when it came out in Modern Combat 3. Now, when you don't have its crisp lock on target, you feel painfully slow as you struggle to bring your sights to bear, as one in a scary dream. Then again, this game is about being in a dream world, sort of. I guess that the head of Nintendo was right when he intimated that gamers were a fickle, hard to please bunch. I am certainly all that. Ha, ha.
    The game gives you 8 levels to start out. This is called Fantasy One. The developers promise 2 more fantasies to come soon.
     I like the simplicity of this game, somewhat. I have had some fun with it. It is definitely worth a dollar. Considering the in-apps for better weapons and the average graphics and controls, I feel like it is priced fairly. One final thought; if you are going to name the sections Fantasies, they should include Sharon Stone, rather than storm troopers. Ha, ha.
    From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...