Skip to main content

Sir Ringo and the Dark Knight Rises

    Hey, everyone. My wife and I went out today and had a nice meal. While we were out we went to see the new Batman movie, titled The Dark Knight Rises. Holy cow, Batman, but that is a long movie! I thought about the Aurora shooting as people filed in, and again when the dude came to check that the exits were clear.
    I thought to myself, "Would I have the sand to try to take some nut out of action if the crap hit the fan?" No one ever knows how they will react in pressure situations. There have been times when I could hardly have told someone my own name, the pressure was so great. The movie passed without incident, however.
    The previews were pretty cool today. I saw previews of the new movie about the Wizard of Oz by Disney. I saw a trailer for Total Recall, which looked pretty cool. There was a preview for Man of Steel, which is about Superman, not Hank Williams Junior.  There was one for the new Bourne movie as well. I'm not sure that I want to see them change stars in the middle of the stream, but hey, it worked for Bond.
      In the 3 hour Batman flick, I think that a good hour could have been cut from the film without damaging it. On the other hand, every opportunity to see Selena Kyle in tight, black leather, stretched over a bat-cycle, is to be relished.
      There are more spoilers and surprises in this show than a man could shake a stick at. (That's Southern for a lot). So let me start by saying that I rate this film as 3.5 stars out of 5. The last hour of it really rocked and rolled. I feel like I got my money's worth. Here's the recipe.
       The Bat Dude has been semi-retired for 8 years and Gotham is full of sweetness and light. Then it comes to light that an evil villain (is there any other kind?) is amassing an army and a wicked plot in the city's sewers. Batman has to get his moldy bat suit out of mothballs and deal with a masked, muscular crook called Kane. Kane's plan is to foment a rebellion of the masses in Gotham and take from the rich to give to the poor. That and a stolen nuclear weapon have the place hopping. Batman has been imprisoned and finds it hard to save the city from his grim, buried domicile.
     Selena Kyle proves to be his best friend and worst enemy,  all during the course of the show. Bruce Wayne even loses his vast fortune and is so poor that they cut his lights off. It doesn't cramp his style with a lovely lady, though.
     Who will die in this series finale? Who will live? Will Bruce get his fortune back? Will Gotham be saved? Will Alfred quit nagging his boss like an old woman? Will the Bat guy make Bat babies with Selena Kyle? You'll find out all this and more in The Dark Knight Rises.
     Speaking of knights... I watched the opening ceremonies for the Olympic Games from London. They were impressive and I enjoyed it. I especially liked it when James Bond went to meet the Queen and they sky-dived into the festivities. Just a stunt,  although Bond could do it and the Queen might as well. I bet she'd have the gumption to do it, by golly. Among the dignitaries and entertainers was Sir Paul McCartney. Paul is a favorite of mine and I am glad for all his honors. He sang at the Queen's Jubilee as well and of course was knighted several years ago. He is deserving of all that and I think he is one of the most gifted people in the history of the world. I couldn't help but think, however, about Ringo Starr. Does he ever feel a bit left out?
    Do you think Ringo gets a little bitter? Does he ever say, "Hey, I was along for that ride, Mate. How's about a little something for the Ringster, you know?"
    Seriously, I know that all the members of the Fab Four got enough glory to last a thousand life times, but I just wonder about that stuff. I am an expert on bitterness. When many toil and the one is exalted, whether it be in a country, a corporation, a band, a church or a football team, there is usually hurt feelings. So, it is a weekend of Knights for me. One Knight rose up, one Knight sang Hey Jude and the third, alas, has not been a Knight at all. But I will say, being a Knight is more a condition of the soul, rather than any title bestowed. I have seen royalty in a dirty hovel, where one sibling gave up his food and medical treatment for the good of little brothers and sisters. Nobility is a condition of the inner man and a cloak without any tatters. It lasts an eternity, in the halls of Heaven. Good day.
     From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.
    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...