Skip to main content

Games! Wimbledon! Books! Weekend! Arggghh!


     My goodness, the pressure for an entertainment glutton such as myself. I have had a tough week, with loads of overtime, late hours and a modicum of fun. Now it is time to break out!
     Let's talk about games a bit. Man, I am having a ball with the 99 center called Asphalt 7: Heat. If, for some reason, you don't have this title, go get it. It is fun. I love the new cities, and the old ones, for that matter. I raced in Los Angeles last night and it was mega-cool. We were neck and neck, with cars bumping each other, wrecking each other and exchanging the lead every few seconds. Then we plunge off an overpass and we're down in an open aqueduct, like the scene in The Terminator 2, where the Governator is saving the kid, you know? In Asphalt 6, there was no water in the big, paved canal. In Asphalt 7 you are in and out of the water, music pounding, your spotter (really nice voice on that lady) squealing in alarm and calling you "cheeky". Man, I like this game! You know, this game is a blast without the in-app stuff and I'd like to thank Gameloft for a good time. I was blazing through Shanghai, I think it was, in a Lamborghini, and it was so intense that my hair started to stand up. For an old guy to get this excited over anything is indicative of major coolness. If you play, just keep buying upgrades, especially for the cars' handling, because what good does all that road-blistering speed do if you can't keep it between the lines? Also, I have finally mastered the skill of drifting, which puts me in line for a gig with the next Fast and Furious flick. Ha, ha. If you are like my wife and routinely turn your sound down during gaming, don't do it on this game.
     Speaking of Carley, the high priestess of puzzle gamers, she has yet another favorite game. To me, it looks as exciting as watching paint dry, but if she's happy, I'm happy. The name of her game is Flow. Get a load of the menu for this thriller. You have a square board (rectangle?) and you have dots of varying colors on the matrix. You must connect the yellow dot to the other yellow dot, red to red, etc. by drawing lines. Sound easy? Well, you can't have any line crossing any other line, which is the fly in the ointment. Carley has played 140 levels, for Pete's sake, and as she was running out of the free version, she bought a bunch more for 99 cents. Actually, I just tease her about the puzzles and I slip into the basement and play puzzles at night by flashlight, lest I lose my shooter card.
     Speaking of shooters, I bought a 99 center which is of the dual stick variety, like Mini-Gore and many others. It is a zombie shooter called Left2Die. Not a cheerful title. Ha, ha. In this game you rack up cash by performing missions or survival mode. Then you upgrade weapons and stuff. There are in-game health packs to pick up, ammo that falls from dead zombies pockets and chunks of cash. Why do zombies need money, anyway? But I digress. There is an on-line multiplayer, with deathmatch, which is probably fun. Sometimes I hate being so distrustful of on-line stuff, but I am a product of my age, I suppose, and as Dan Fogelberg was wont to say, "I go my lone and solitary way". Whatever.
    This zombie shooter is an okay game. Don't buy it, expecting it to be Nova 3, because it is not, okay? But neither is it $6.99, which eases your pain. It is a fun game, though.
    Speaking of Nova 3. I am having a good time with this game. I am now way over into the epic struggle, having been on another 'sweet run'. I am battling evil Volterite scum inside a massive crater on a distant world and, if I can say it modestly, I am playing with great aplomb. Cool word, huh? I miss having my man Rufus on this section, for the simple reason that he is bad to the bone. The snipers and the red apes are a paino in the draino, however. Yet I will persevere, because the fate of mankind rests nonchalantly on my aged shoulders.
     Speaking of burdened shoulders, let's talk about the tennis player from England, Andy Murray. Man, this guy has the hopes of a nation riding on his slender shoulders as he prepares to battle Roger Federer for the Wimbledon title. The last time that an Englishman has played in the final of his 'home' tourney was in 1938. Wow, that's a long dry spell, as we say in the South.
   I was pulling for the Brit as he battled Ferrer, a Spaniard, for the simple reason that I'd like to see the tall, lanky home boy win one for his nation. That B.S. is what makes it so tough on the kid, though. Can you imagine? He'll have to zone out from all that and just play his game to beat the elegant Federer. Murray used his serve to win against Ferrer and you could see his confidence in that formidable weapon as the match progressed. Anyway, I'll pull for Andy for the simple reason that I like to see championships for different people. Roger certainly has his share, right? Besides, beating the world #1 in the semis has to feel like a trophy for the great champion.
      I am reading an old, old book by the greatest western writer of all time, Zane Grey. It is titled Man of the Forest and is available for free on all the book stores. It is the story of a woodsman and tracker, which I identify with, in Arizona, in cowboy days. Milt Dale learns of a plot to kidnap a young woman and in order to prevent it, takes the girl into the forest to hide. It is long on nature descriptions and short on action, but is still a good one. Zane Grey's best books are Knights of the Range, Forlorn River, Nevada and Shadow on the Trail. You can grab all of them for free, I think. In this book I am reading, I was amused when the hero opined that a mountain lion would never attack a man unless it were cornered or starving. I know that this is B.S.
    From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio