Skip to main content

Free Games and the Flu

    Hey, everyone out there in gaming, reading land. I have been under the weather with a summer flu. It really is not fun. My wife is not here to spoil me, so I must persevere, kill zombies and drink too much coffee. I have a number of things to address today.
1) About Frankenword. Last time I talked about Frankenword. It is a good game but I like to inform you if I run across something about a game which I have discussed with you. Frankenword takes the liberty of turning on Notifications for your device. I don't like this. It is not like it is really nefarious, but they shouldn't do it without your consent. As I've said before, I want to play a game, not have my game chatting back and forth with a remote location. Do as you like, but I turned it off on my I-Padster. To do this, go to settings, notifications, Frankenword, then turn all the boxes to off. You may want to keep it, I don't know your tastes. I kept the game and turned off the notifications.
2) Major Mayhem- This is a free shooter game that I downloaded this morning. It is okay. You play as a soldier who is sent to various locales by the American President. Your girlfriend has been kidnapped, also. The first place you go to is the tropics. While there, you battle ninjas. They are a bit rude, because they have throwing stars which they hurl at you. Of course you are armed with a gun, grenades, rockets etc. To shoot, you merely tap the enemy. If you tap when they are firing, you can be hit by their attacks. If you wait until they are not firing to pop out and shoot, your health will last longer. This would also be true in real life, I suppose.
     The tapping of targets is not one of my favorite control schemes, but the game is pretty fun. The graphics are really nice. For a free game it is definitely cool and far be it from me to look a 'gift horse in the mouth'. Check it out for yourself.
3) Dead Trigger Update- The new game by the Shadowgun developers has a new update. I checked it out this morning and it seems to play more smoothly. The update claims that there are now some easy missions and some hard missions. I know it works better. In particular, I like the addition of iron sights, which appear when you tap a button. They zoom in and focus your fire much better. If this mechanic was used in Major Mayhem, it would be much better. Then again, Major Mayhem is free, which is hard to beat for a price.
    In Dead Trigger's update, the running zombies, as well as the spitting zombies, appear much sooner. Really, spitting is unsanitary and zombies obviously 'have no raising' as my mom would have said. Ha, ha. Hey, they are dead, so what can one expect? Fingerbowls and snow-white linen would be wasted on these individuals, eh?
     The old coot who sent me out to find a case of whiskey is probably drunk on his behind at this very moment. (In the game.) I am still irritated that a grown man would risk someone else's life for booze. I had to battle through a lot of zombonos to get that box, okay? Whatever.
    The bottom line is: You should get this update. I don't get all updates for all games. Some of them just add another language, or ads or in-apps. You should really read about the updates before you get them. This particular update is a good one.
4) I am still having a lot of fun with Asphalt 7: Heat. I was on a sweet run last night. I was stumped at a certain point, with little to show for my recent efforts. Then I bought (for in-game cash only) an Audi. I started kicking butt and taking names, as we say in the South. I won several races in a row, won a bunch of money and had a great time. I scared the tar out of my spotter. (Cool female voice person). If Audi's real cars are that good, I'd like to have one. Check out the screen shot of New Orleans I placed above. You really need this 99 cent game. Would I lie to you?
5) I just sneaked a peek at Carley's I-Pad for a puzzle update. Man, is her I-Pad 1 slow compared to my #3. Also, why doesn't she clean her screen? She has several new puzzlers, and I think they were free. First is Dedale. In this odd game, you have a butterfly who is in a maze of blocks. Your pulse-pounding, live on the razor's edge mission, should you choose to accept it, is to get that darn butterfly around the blocks without crossing the same block twice. If you fail, your butterfly goes flapping away,  which is a sad feeling. Carley likes it.
    Another puzzler she has is called Zarak. I can't really see how to play it and Miss Puzzle Guru is at work. I will say that this game involves a board, dice and numbers. Sorry about that. I do know that she likes it and that she mumbles to herself as she plays it. That is a good sign, as far as the game quality goes.
     The third and final freebie she has tried this week is called Addictive Tripeak. It is a card game. It has cards laid out like solitaire, but there appear to be chickens, aliens and spacecraft floating around behind the cards. See why I like shooter games? They are simple. It is very intuitive. See zombie, shoot zombie. Repeat.
    Well, I have rambled on, because I have missed you guys. Have a good weekend and check back with us, here at the author's green retreat.
   I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio