Skip to main content

Scary Part of Blogging

    Hey, everyone. I read Google News on my PC, almost every day. You can customize it to suit your interests and one of 'my' sections is any news under the heading of blogs or blogging. Wow, is it educational and a little freaky to read some of this stuff?
    There are bloggers who have a lot of trouble. Just yesterday, I read about a lady called The Skinny Blogger who had made some comments about Kate Upton being fat. (Don't know what photos she was looking at. Ha, ha. ) Anyway, this lady blogger received death threats and rape threats over this stuff. Are we as a people getting too serious about certain things? Well, yeah, I think so.
    Some bloggers have been put in prison over things they wrote, I guess. Especially when they are blogging in a country with a totalitarian regime. I admire their grit. Several bloggers who stepped on the wrong toes down around the Mexican and U.S. border have been killed.
     Bloggers have been hauled into court over messing up somebody's business sales. Certain items like blogs and Facebook are commonly used in divorce settlements. I suppose that all levels of law enforcement monitor the blogosphere to one degree or another.
    So, prison, harassment, threats, financial ruin, even death. Probably a few busted marriages thrown in for good measure. Why in the heck would any sane person want to blog? A small percentage of people make a good living at it. For some it is a hobby. For some it is a bully pulpit. For some it is a cheap way to market themselves or to build their brand. The reasons are probably as varied as the people. There are noble and base causes, I am sure. The internet is a huge, global jungle of beautiful sunny fields and seamy back streets, dingy, creepy dungeons and lovely lakes. Some places you go into and say to yourself, "Uh, oh, I shouldn't be here." I'd like the green retreat to be a place where anyone can feel comfortable.
      I have reviewed games and had the developer contact me. Hey, saying that just reminded me of something I read yesterday. Some people have been threatening reviewers who slam the new Batman movie on the web. I guess I don't understand this. The 'freedom' of the internet should at least allow people to voice their likes and dislikes.
     Mom used to tell me, "If you can't say something good about somebody, just don't say anything." This is good advice for a blogger, I guess. I have typed a blog, published it and deleted it within 5 minutes. I remember one in particular in which I was pretty buzzed and telling about dancing on my sidewalk while I listened to Honky Tonk Women on my Podster. Hey, it was true but nobody needed to know it. Mick might have got angry if he'd heard me bragging about my moon-walking abilities. Ha, ha.
      When I do a blog, I try to remember that people are touchy about things they work on for a year. These people that create books, movies and games have moms and dads and spouses that can be hurt. Then again, there are certain people that just want to be offended and can twist something around the wrong way.
     I like to blog. That's obvious, since I have done about 600 posts in less than 3 years. I actually started the blog with the idea of talking about my books, hopefully spreading the word about them. Now I blog to the exclusion of writing, which I understand from other authors is very common. It sort of gets a hold on you and you can start to tell about things like what sort of seafood you like. (I don't like seafood. Ha, ha.)
    As I talked to Carley about this, she said, "Blogging is nothing next to the stuff that goes on with Facebook." I don't know because I've never been on Facebook.
    The global playground of the internet is a massive supply of  good and bad things.
   From a reflective CE Wills.
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...