Skip to main content

My Change In Gaming Philosophy

    Hey, everyone. While my Tivo is taping the British Open I thought I'd blog about gaming a bit.   The change in the fledgling app store has caused this gamer to evolve a bit. What I mean is merely that I can see myself gradually changing my gaming philosopy. Until lately, I bought a lot of premium games. The $5 or $6, and $7 or $8 games were commonly bought by yours truly. They were cool games, mostly. I'd research them thoroughly, by reviews and video clips, then squeeze the trigger on a buy. Some of them were good buys. Games like the legendary 9MM had the difficulty level set where it was very challenging for me, but I persevered and finished it, all the way, a rare feat for me. I loved the game and I'm playing through it again right now.
    The problem was, most of the higher end games were cool for a couple of levels. You'd say, "Wow, what great graphics and exciting game-play. This is fun!" You'd tell your friends, or, in my case, do an enthusiastic review on my blog about it. Next thing you know, you're stuck. You wind up, maybe, getting to play about half of your game.
    All this is well documented on previous posts, up until this: Here lately I have almost quit shelling out for these games, at least most of them. I did buy Nova 3, and after tons of difficulty and lots of sticking points, I have almost finished it. I also bought Mass Effect: Infiltrator. After lots of trials and an assist from my gaming pard, Trevor, I am almost finished with it. But I digress.
    Part of my new approach is to buy the big games like Batman, Arkham Asylum, and others, when they are on sale and have come down to earth on the price. After the early adopters have been served. This sale price of 99 cents makes the games disposable when they inevitably show their teeth and I can't play through them.
    When The Amazing Spiderman came out the other day for $6.99, did I buy it? Noooooooo. In the old days I would have jumped on it "like white on rice".
    Another good example is the new release of The Dark Knight Rises. Formerly I would have had it five minutes after it hit the app store. Now that guy sitting in Omaha is saying, "I went to see what Wills had to say about The Dark Knight and he hasn't played it." The cursed program that developers use called "Dynamic Difficulty Increase" is the culprit. This means that the game is programmed to get harder level by level and more so on the boss levels. Why not give us the choice, if you want our money? The reason is, casual gamers are insignificant to you.
     The lady in China, who just bought her shiny new I-Pad, is reading this and saying, "Wow, there is hate and discontent in the app store!" Hey, we'll work through it.
    With all this irritation, the much hated in-app purchases, which I despise as much as most people, can actually be a help. You can get a great game like Asphalt 7: Heat or the gory Dead Trigger, and play it for a while to see if you like it or can actually advance enough to warrant investing in it.
   I did this with the odd shooter called Lock and Load, in which the hero is a horror movie villain with a hockey mask. I paid 99 cents for it. I played it, liked it, made progress, then shelled out some cash for in-apps. This method has its issues to, as the marketers keep trying to suck the bucks out of you as the game rocks along. The in-app for this game was too high, by half.
   So, readers, the battle between consumers and marketers rages on with the marketers intent on messing up the app store. This casual gamer has rebelled against half-played games. I feel like developers have left us out in the cold, like the picture above.
    From the land of 99 cent games, this is 'Casual' Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...