Skip to main content

Horn and the Cuthbert Blues

Hey, everyone. I had been interested in buying Sky Gamblers and Horn, when they came out a few weeks ago. At that time, they were a premium price of $6.99. Knowing full well that I would be lucky to play a third to a half of either of them before getting stuck, I decided to wait until they dropped in price significantly. They dropped this weekend to a price of $2.99 each. I bought both of them today. Tonight I played Horn for a couple of hours. I'd like to talk about it for a bit and leave any discussion of Sky Gamblers for a later date.
      First of all, Horn is a massive file for an IOS game. How much, you say? A hefty 849MB. If you are limited on I-Pad space or in available download limitations, this could be significant. Here's the recipe for the game.
     This game has great graphics. It is like a Disneyfied version of Infinity Blade. It has the Unreal Engine graphics, which are hard to beat. Your avatar is a youngster named Horn who wakes up in a situation he doesn't understand. He doesn't know how he arrived at the place he is. As he wanders about, it soon becomes obvious that a bunch of non-humans have taken over Horn's planet and imprisoned Horn's people inside Pygons, stone and metal creatures who don't like anything human, or indeed human feelings. When Horn smashes some flying cans (with eyes) birds come out of the wreckage and fly away, which means that all living things are entrapped. I think that we would agree, this is a bloody drag for humanity.
    Before the fall of his village, which now lies in ruins, Horn worked for a Smith. Not like a cheap hotel sort of Smith but rather a Blacksmith. He forges a cool sword that will work against the obnoxious Pygons. In an odd twist, he defeats a pygon warrior and carries the dude's head around in a bag. (No worries, it is a mechanical head, so no blood) The head is kinda mouthy, that's a joke, and is Horn's unwilling guide into all things Pygonian. The gritty teenager has decided to free his people from the bondage of the Pygon spell. Horn frees his Aunt Bell, who raised him after his parent's demise. Aunt Bell is a fine looking woman and deserves better than to wander through a huge world with a young zealot. (That's another joke)
    The monsters that the kid encounters are very cool. He fights them with a sword, and later, with other weapons. He crawls through holes, opens chests of treasure, creeps along the face of a cliff and ...blows his own horn. What I mean is that the kid, early on, finds a horn on the ground. It is supposed to belong to an emissary of this rowdy Pygon contingent. Coincidentally, there are horns set up on pedestals around this world. If you get stuck, walk up to them and see if your avatar will blow on them. Sometimes the sound of the horn will shatter walls and open a path for you. The reverberation shatters some barrier or other that has hindered the youngster. Not only that, but you can upgrade certain weapons, abilities and healing properties.
    This would be a great game for youngsters. I enjoyed it myself, until I got stuck, wandering around the huge gamescape, ready to rock and roll, yet without music or partner. Ha, ha. So, now I'll have to :
1) Wander aimlessly
2) Go watch a you-tube walkthrough
3) Delete the darn game
4) Sing those low down Cuthbert blues. (Cuthbert is the kid's hometown.)
    Is this game worth $2.99? Yeah. Now I am faced with another earth-shaking decision. Avenger's Initiative has dropped in price today, from $6.99 to $2.99. Shall I buy it and get stuck on yet another game or just wander around Cuthbert with this sword-wielding teenager and his Aunt Bell? "Hulk doesn't know," at the moment. But hey, it's all good. Old people just like to gripe.
From the author's green retreat streets of Cuthbert, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol