Skip to main content

Moneyball/ Moneybook

     Hey, everyone. Tonight it has been my pleasure to watch a terrific movie called Moneyball. It stars Brad Pitt as Billy Beane, the General Manager of baseball's Oakland A's during the time depicted in the film, as well as now. I found the flick to be one of the best sports movies I've ever seen. Though 2.5 hours in length, it didn't drag at all. Here's the recipe for this 5 star movie.
     Baseball had become a game of Billionaires paying players millions of dollars in order to buy wins and championships. Small market clubs, such as Oakland, with a payroll shy of $40,000,000, were forced to compete with teams that had a payroll of $120,000,000. Billy Beane was forced to change his way of thinking, and managing. Let me say to those of you who are not baseball fans that the General Manager of a team handles the business end of things. The Manager sits in the dug-out and controls the players. He chooses who to start and substitute as well as a myriad of other things.
    So Billy picks an assistant who is new to the game, a Yale graduate with a degree in economics.(Jonah Hill as Peter Brand.) He is a number cruncher to the nth degree and also got a rock star to the Greek Theater for a concert. Ha, ha. They trade for players that no one else wanted because 1) They got them cheap. 2) They wanted a team, not show dogs.
     Like the assistant said, "These people are overlooked because of a fault, their looks or their personal lives." At times people weren't wanted because their girl friend was ugly! The scouts thought that if a guy had any confidence, he could have a good-looking chick. Really? Sounds like one shallow ****** looking for another one. Whatever.
    So, the on-field manager, Art Howe, (played by Phillip Seymour Hoffman) fights his boss, Billy Beane, at every step. Things get ugly, with lots of losses. Billy gets tough and trades the players that are part of the problem, even though much of that has to do with Art Howe's stubbornness. Suddenly, the rag-tag bunch of unwanted dudes start to win, and win big. They go from last place to first in their division, make the playoffs and have a record setting 20 game winning streak along the way.
    Suddenly, a phrase is coined. They called that style of franchise development... Moneyball. They could have called it "How to compete with a third of the payroll of other teams".
     As I was watching this movie, I couldn't help but think about the ebook revolution. Let me talk about this a bit, please.
    The other day, I was reading a book by a writer who has churned out best-sellers for years. I'm a fan of his and buy all his books. In his acknowledgements he gave credit to his 'team'. I counted 25 people who helped prepare his book. Those who researched the geography and customs of the nations the hero traveled to. People who edited, proofed and did the cover art. The list went on and on, with some of the duties encompassing things I wouldn't have dreamed of.
      Meanwhile, a guy or woman no one ever heard of writes a book. They are ignored and insulted by dozens of publishers. Publishers who manipulate their stooges in the media to constantly criticize and lampoon independent authors. (In the hopes that they can get a book deal.) Then, this week, the list of the top 100 books came out. 27 of them were written by independent authors. Some of them wrote the story, their spouse typed it and proofed it and they scrounged up some kind of cover. All while working full-time jobs. No matter how polished a book is, if it's boring, it's boring. Most books sold at the book stores are too boring to finish. This is why everyone has found a few writers that are actually good and stick with them, rather than trying new ones at $15 to $25 a shot.
    In any facet of life quality people lose a boyfriend, girlfriend, promotion, job, roles in movies and a million other things. They 'just don't look the part'. Maybe a guy has an overbite and dresses funny. Nobody wants to date him. Maybe a lady is brilliant but the guy gets the promotion. Maybe "He's too young." or She's too old." The list goes on forever. Who's gonna give you a shot, young man? Maybe you're short. Who cares, as long as you're good?
     Moneyball and Moneybooks. They are not so different.
   From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol