Skip to main content

Movie Review: China Moon


     Hey, everyone. I watched a good movie tonight on the satellite. As the erudite among you might expect, the title is China Moon. Let me say up front that it has more twists than a piggy's tail. It is a cop show with mystery, murder and skulduggery enough for the most twisted of us. Here's the recipe.
    Ed Harris plays the role of Kyle, a police detective in Florida. He works homicide with his partner, a younger guy named Dickie. (Played by Benicio Del Toro.) One night Kyle meets an attractive lady in a bar. Her name is Rachel Munro. Her husband is a wealthy banker (aren't they all?) who abuses her. Kyle and Rachel begin a torrid affair. (Is there any other kind?)
     One evening the two cops answer a call at Rachel's residence. Her husband has been slapping her around. Kyle plays like he and Rachel don't know each other and goes through the usual domestic disturbance routine. Time passes. Affair continues. The marriage continues to deteriorate, leading Rachel to buy a gun.
     Lo and behold, Rachel shoots her husband and demands that Kyle help her dispose of the body and cover up the murder. Scratch that. I don't call it murder, I call it self-defense. After a few weeks, certain tips and evidence starts to point at Kyle. Does this lady love him? Is he a tool only? Will he become a guest of the state, all for scattered moments hours of passion? Are more people than Rachel actually involved in Kyle's undoing? Why was a .38 slug removed from the body when Rachel shot the bozo with a 9MM? How can the slug match one fired from Kyle's .38? Why are men so stupid as to chase married women?
     These questions and others will be answered if you go to Blockbuster and check out this flick. For those of you who are hoping, because of the title, that you will see one of those lovely oriental ladies in this one, forget that. Madeleine Stowe acts in the lead role of Rachel Munro. If you look up 'fine' in the dictionary, her photo may appear on the page, oriental or not. More importantly, she is a fine actress.
    I call this 1994 movie a 4 stars out of 5. It will surprise you multiple times, even after all the spoilers I've just dropped on you. Her husband was a jerk, anyway. They should have given her a medal.
    From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...