Skip to main content

Big Rain and History As We Lived It

    Hey, everyone. We have undergone yet another dry spell, so the prospect of a big rain for the next couple of days is welcome. I hope it washes some of the ragweed out of the air.
     I didn't really do a great deal over the weekend. We went out to eat Saturday and did a few chores at home. I watched a little football yesterday on TV. I have a system that I use now about watching football. I only watch games in which one of my teams is playing. I find that I enjoy the sport more that way. Besides, I realized that it was unfair of me to monopolize the programming that much. Women have their preferences, as well as men, and they usually don't want to watch football every day. Frankly, I don't either.
    The NFL has Thursday night games, Monday night games and later in the season they have games on a couple of Saturdays. Of course, on Sundays there are games from 1PM to almost midnight. That's an overdose. Then there are talk shows on, continually, in which people pontificate about the games. That's fine, if you want it, I guess, but I think you'll find your wife will appreciate you more if you practice moderation.
    Moderation is an interesting subject. My personality tends toward being passionate about something for a time, then discarding it, like used chewing gum. Lately, I have played too many games on I-Pad, so I plan to back off of that and read more. I recently went through a stage in which I worked on my house to the point of wearing myself out. Now, I hate to even think about picking up a paintbrush.
     A wise man once said, "Moderation in all things". I think that you should work your job enough to enjoy being off. You should vacation enough to enjoy being home. You should eat out enough so that a home cooked meal is appreciated. If I am off enough, I even enjoy going back to work, sometimes.
    Like the rain coming in. I like nice weather, but I really appreciate a good rainy day. I love to sit and read a book and watch the rain fall. It is relaxing. Sometimes it just takes the pressure off a guy to mow the grass or some other chore.
     Tonight, Peyton Manning and the Broncos come to Atlanta for Monday Night Football. It should be a great game. I almost always pull for Peyton, but I can't tonight. I saw where Andrew Luck got his first win with the Colts yesterday. Both he, and Robert Griffin the 3rd, seem to be the real deal.
     I don't remember if I told you about the old books I bought at a used book store. They are a series of books about the 1970's. They were done by the Associated Press and are full of old pictures and news clippings about the current events of that time. I got a kick out of them, remembering a lot of the happenings, though there were many I did not recall. It was funny, but I found it oddly comforting that the world was in a mess then, as well as now. Perhaps not as bad a mess...
    I noticed an article about the death of Roberto Clemente, the baseball player, as he was on a mercy mission to Nicaragua. Across the page was a photo of J. Paul Getty and Patricia Nixon. Articles about space missions, hijacked airliners and many other things were jolting my memory. If you see them in a store, you might want to check them out.
    I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol