Skip to main content

Retreat From the Green Retreat

    Hey, everyone.  I recently  sold the green retreat. I am talking about that piece of land which I owned for many years in the mountains. Like any major move it feels a bit sobering when you place one foot inside your car and look back at the house as you're fixing to leave the premises.
     You think about its good points and its bad. You think about your grandkids walking in the woods and the things you taught them about animals. You think about the loneliness. You think about the quietness and the solitude. You think about the night when the mountain lion walked down the peak of your roof. The night a bear leaned on your back door. The day a huge rattlesnake crawled up to sun himself, less than three feet from the chair in which you were dozing.
     You think about the dangerous drives home and how you had to drive 25 miles on ice to get to your wife when she was stranded. You recall those power outages and the total blackness. You think about warm fires in the fireplace and feeling snug with your woman as the scary North winds blew in the Winter. You remember the huge oak tree that Tropical Storm Katrina snapped like a toothpick and laid it alongside the room where you slept.

    You recall, just a bit, the feeling of wonder when a huge ice storm came through and coated the trees with shiny decorations for Christmas. You recall how the quiet made it easy to write novels. The way you could daydream to the point where they became real, the characters and places, and all you had to do was just write them down. Walter, the huge turtle, became a childrens' story after he dug a hole out by the wood pile.
     Not so pleasant to remember were days you would be at work and look up at the mountain, knowing that you might not get home. Nights when you hit deer with your car or a guy tried to force you to pull off the road. Wee hour stops to help strangers who had broke down and could have frozen...
     Sunsets in the summer were cool from our deck, with a cold beer and good music on the I-Pod, dancing with my man, Mick Jagger and his Honky Tonk Women. (That's the only way I am allowed to dance with women)
    All these memories and a thousand more. Then I began to have nightmares about my wife having to live in such a remote place by herself if I were to die suddenly. We moved back to our place in the valley, which is 'in the country' and not really in a sub-division, but there is no place you can hang outside without being under the possible vision of a neighbor. Heck, at the green retreat, I could cut firewood all day long and never see another human being. You get so used to the privacy and so casual that you forget about humans. One day I was using the bathroom outside and looked up to see the meter reader getting out of his truck. The poor guy is probably in therapy as we speak.
    The longer I lived in solitude, the less I wanted to be around people. At some point this is a bad thing. One needs to be able to function in society and not dread going out to eat or to the theater. A very wise man once wrote, moderation in all things.
      The other evening I walked out onto the porch and looked up at the bulk of the mountain. It was 36 degrees here in the valley and raining. I knew that it was snowing on the mountain. I could see, in my mind's eye, a mountain lion and her three cubs, as they strolled across my back yard,  all lined up in single file, at the author's green retreat.
    I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...