Skip to main content

Odd Weekend

    Hey, out there in the ethernet. I hope you folks have had an enjoyable weekend. I had a great Friday, an okay Saturday and a truly sucky Sunday. I won't go into the bad stuff in particular but it wasn't a good day.
       Unrelated news. Gaming on the old app store is in a period of transition. I'd ask all you newcomers with their shiny I-Pad Minis, I-Phone 5's and new I-Pads, not to be too down about some of the games. The in-apps are out of control but hopefully Apple will rein in the developers before Rome burns. I was just playing a game called Contract Killer 2. It has the potential to be a really cool game. You accept contracts to perform hits for a shadowy employer. As usual, you upgrade weapons and buy new ones, grenades, knives to throw etc. You run and cover, similar to Shadowgun, in a limited way. You only get to play a few minutes before you either pay quite a bit of cash or you can't advance. I think the least you can spend is $4.99. Well, that wouldn't be bad for a good shooter game and I've paid it a multitude of times. But, on the page that lists the in-apps there are purchases of $49.99 and $99.99. So, if you paid the $4.99, it is a safe bet that you would play a little farther and have to spend more. So, I just deleted it.
      Another game and one which I've talked about before, is called Wild Blood. This Gameloft offering is $6.99. A friend of mine bought this game and played it for only a few minutes before he was confronted with the need to buy stuff. Bad enough on a freemium game but extremely hard to smile about when you just plunked down $6.99.
     Blood and Glory 1 and 2. I really enjoy these two games. But again, you quickly have to shell out the old green stuff to win. I deleted both. Let me say again that if I enjoy a game it doesn't bother me at all to buy a reasonable in-app, if it is apparent that doing so will ensure that you can, by working at it, complete the game or come close to doing so.
    Death Dome is another cool game which I have deleted for these reasons. Oh, well. Transitions are not always smooth. I can see Apple calling in the developers who have games on site and just having a heart to heart. "Hey, guys. We have a pretty nice cash cow here. Let's not try to feed it wild onions, okay? State, up front, an approximation of how many in-app dollars will have to be spent to play your game. Or, don't have any in-apps. If there is a $99 in-app, then that is what you think will be required? If you put out an update with any thing in it to screw up a game someone has paid for already, (like putting ads in it or causing the game to mess up purposely so that they will have to buy another game) then we're going to start kicking you off the store, because the folks who buy these games are our livelihood."
       One of my favorite games recently started having a word or two repeating itself over and over, like a record skipping.( A record was a plastic thing with grooves that you'd set a phonograph needle down on and it would produce music, sort of like a stone-age I-Pod.) Anyway, this game which I've enjoyed for over a year, I now have to play with it muted. Many companies, in their paranoia about pirates, have taken to producing updates that do odd things. I have lost game progress and even whole games, at times. Most of this stuff and a lot more, I have mentioned in posts like Apple Plays Violin While App Store Burns. Hey, Apple is a great company, overall, and I think they'll straighten things out.
       I bought a game Friday called Blackwater. It is $1.99 and has a western theme. It is okay. At least you can play it and not get mad. You are a Deputy who has to go out and have a shootout, here and there. You recover goods from an ambushed wagon train, for instance, while ventilating Indians and raiders of all types. The graphics are not eye-popping, but again, you can actually play it.
      I found myself going through some of my older games and re-installing ones without in-apps and ones that were playable, even if they were not earth-shaking in excitement and graphics. I put on several match threes and other puzzle games. Stuff like Topple, for instance. I went back this week and played oldies like Shadowgun, 9MM, Carnivores: Dinosaur Hunter, Warm Gun, Megatroid, Shellrazor, Bookworm, Chicktionary, Rage, Razor: Salvation, Treasures of Montezuma, Trigger Fist and others. I have one game called, I think, Gunner, or Space Chicken, I forget. It is simple, with a chicken in a space ship blasting meteorites that look like potatoes, but I like it and it is fun, and simple. Besides, I really like potatoes. I like to dig them up, out of the soft ground, like finding treasure.
     I don't know if it is my internet company, or a combination of things, but the app store has really been slow lately. Everything related to the web seems to be acting crazy. Hope I haven't picked up a bug...
    Well, I am winding down and ready for bed. I hope that you have a nice week. May all your problems be as insignificant as games.
     I'm CE Wills.
   
   
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is his AI, but Cybe