Skip to main content

My Two-Cents Worth On the I-Pad Air

     Hey, everyone. I don't consider myself as a tech blogger but I'd like to talk about Apple's latest iteration of the I-Pad. I'll give you more of a common man's perspective, I hope. All you folks in Cupertino can use this to get a feel for mainstreet USA. I've owned I-Pads since the original came out and have owned the #1, #2, and #3. I have to say, as I've said before, that of all the things I've bought in my life, these devices are the best. So, here are some thoughts on the new one.
1) I like the idea that they have developed an I-Pad Smart Case, as opposed to the Smart Cover. You can still buy the latter, and it's cheaper, but why not protect both sides? We like to say, "Cover Your ***" here in the States. Besides, since the new device is thinner and all, it might be good to have the extra protection. (The new Case is to be $79, I think.)
2) Twice the Wi-Fi performance. It has two inlet channels and two outlet channels. This is huge with me because I like a crisp experience as I sit in my recliner. The snappy activity of my padster will give me the illusion of being active as I sit on my butt in the chair. Coolness.
3) Dual microphones. Very cool. I remember, on the first I-Pad, you could hardly get enough volume to really hear the Stones do Honky Tonk Women. If I were moon walking down my sidewalk, this was a negative. Plus, they have a noise reduction feature to dampen background noise.
4) No 8 Megapixel camera, as was rumored. This didn't bother me. I understand the camera has been improved, however.
5) It only weighs a pound. This is fine. My left thumb, along with a place on my left wrist, bothers me sometimes when I have a marathon session with Iron Man 3 or some other game. I do regret the fact that when you keep cutting materials, they eventually may lose some strength or durability. One of the reasons I initially went with I-Pad was its heft, and its solid feel. I have dropped mine several times without mishap. I do feel that as people like myself get older, the 1 pound of weight of the new tablet will be more and more appreciated. So, not a big factor either way in buying this device.
6) Colors. I understand that you have a choice of a white/silver combo or a space grey/grey combo. No gold color, as had been rumored. Not a huge deal for me, though you may remember that I was lusting after a gold I-Phone 5s ( 16 Gig). If Tony Stark was my friend, I could have it too. Ha, ha.
7) No fingerprint sensor, as was rumored. Well...here goes. This is a cool tech item, I suppose, but its lack is not a deal breaker for me. I can see ways that it could be abused in certain circles and I'd just as soon not have it on my device. Nuff said.
8) Thinner edge. This is a deal that I will have to try out. I like the I-Pad 3 just fine without this feature. What it is, as you know, is about the area that you hold as you game or whatever. The black outline doesn't have touch sensors so you can grip it without shooting zombies in that area. (On the older I-Pads.)  Anyway, they have reduced the area of the black box, the outline, by about 40 percent, similar to the way they did the I-Pad Mini. I am concerned that I'll have to totally change the way I hold my I-Pad as I fight zombies. I fear that may cramp my style and hinder the techniques I have developed over thousands of hours of game play. I figure that my fears are unfounded and that will be no problem, however. Supposedly, they have sensors in the edges of the screen to sense if you are just holding it there or if you are tapping the screen. I'll keep my fingers crossed on that one.
9) No 7X chip, as had been rumored. Not a big deal to me. I wouldn't recognize a 7X chip if I met one on the street, nor could I tell it from the new A7 chip that the I-Pad Air has on it.
10) The important thing about the new chip is its performance, which should be awesome. As a gamer and web surfer I want the speed, the power, the fluidity that has been promised with all the upgraded guts of this device. I want, I want, I want. This thing has 64-bit architecture which brings a picture to my mind of a lego construction project. But, I understand that I'll have twice the power and speed of an I-Pad 4. (I have the 3 now.) This, along with the M7 coprocessor chip will enable developers to produce more games that will push the envelope of console games' kingdom and will give me that thing I have been hungry for, for several years. I want to play games as good as Call of Duty Ghost on my Padster!
11) After that rant, you probably suspect that I plan on buying the I-Pad 5...er...I-Pad Air. That would be correct. I must wait for November 1st to order it. But that's okay.
    From the gamer's green retreat, I'm CE Wills, common guy.
P.S. About the picture... I know that there is one penny and one quarter. I didn't have two pennies. Just thought I'd give you a heads-up concerning the mistake. That's a joke. Ha, ha. Heads up. 
    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is his AI, but Cybe