Skip to main content

The Golden Whistle

    Hey, everyone. Seems like forever since I posted. I've been busy fighting the battle of winter weather. Huge fun.
    One of the great romances of modern times is the relationship of Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall. They met on the set of a movie titled To Have And Have Not. Bogey had been prone to marrying women with whom he fought and his marriage at that time was on the rocks, just like his scotch.
    The attraction between Bogart and Bacall was immediate and powerful, with sparks flying on stage and off. Not too long after their meeting they were married and remained happily married until Bogie's death many years later.
     To Have And Have Not had a scene in it which was considered pretty hot by the standards of that time. (We are talking the Lassie generation) Lauren Bacall was about to leave Bogart's room and she said. "Just whistle if you need me. You know how to whistle, don't you? Just put your lips together and blow." Hey, didn't take much heavy-handed stuff to get slapped down by a censor in those days.
    Bogie bought Bacall a gold whistle in real life after that movie was filmed. I suppose it was as a joke or a keepsake, perhaps one of those private jokes between lovers. Most couples have something like that going on.
      By the way, when Bogart was buried, would you care to guess what was buried in the casket with him? Good guess. Great trivia question for one of those nights when you want to stump someone.
    This weekend, if you get bored, pop over to NetFlix and rent To Have And Have Not. When you see the whistle part, you'll know the rest of the story.
     One last note: Those of you who read my book, KGB Retirement Program, might like to know that I've put its sequel on Smashwords. Its called Karina's Journal and here's the link.
    http://smashwords.com/b/40742

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...