Skip to main content

The Shell Game

    Hey, everyone. I hope you are having a great week. My topic for today is women.
    As I have gotten older, my line of thought about women has changed considerably. When I was young they were certainly fascinating and a little scary. Then when I got married I was focused on the one lady and supporting my family, with all the struggles attendant on that occupation.
     Now, in my latter days, I meditate some on women and their role in this world. I hope that you can hear what I'm saying without thinking I mean something else. I see women now as something pretty awesome in a sort of spiritual sense. They are a haven of warmth and comfort in a cruel world. Sometimes, when a man has been dealing with the hardness of the world, a woman's softness, a kind word, a gentle touch, they can make all the difference.
     I see women and I wonder about their courage and perseverance. I see a woman who hangs in there with a no-good husband and tries to give their kids a life. Maybe she is powerless, to a certain extent, to improve their lot noticeably, financially or otherwise. I see a long-suffering face, I see the patience, the kindness and the love. I just have to marvel.
    Sometimes I'll see a young woman when I'm out in town. I'll notice the good looks, the health, the confidence. I will see that sweet fire and the twinkle and life in the eyes. And I will marvel. Yes, my friend, if a woman like this chooses to give herself to you, do you comprehend how precious such a thing is? Probably not. When a woman has given you her love, do you know that she has given you that which is most dear to her?
    That same woman then, later in life, decides to give birth to your children. This is something that boggles the mind at my age. When we are young we are so concerned with the struggle and the battle that we don't see the magnitude of the events that are happening, except in the most general way.
    Here's the tough part, guys. This same woman, your best friend and companion in the war of life, gets older.  Sometimes, you grow apart. Problems with health, kids, grandkids, money and the disappointments of life can lead us to take our bitterness out on our spouse.  It's common for older folks to seek a younger mate than the one they have. I know that any woman, or man, is capable of anything. It's only by the grace of God that any marriage stays together. That doesn't make it right to dump someone for a change in their looks. All I'm saying is that as I age, I think about women differently.
    Do I still find ladies attractive? Certainly. My point is merely that if all you see is the shell, you are just a shell yourself. For instance, a woman is a package of personality, mind, character, spirit, looks, her body and her faults. There are other parts to the package. As she ages she will certainly improve in some areas and will go downward in others, as will any man. My wife's 'package' has improved over the decades. Considerably. We fought like cats and dogs for years after we got married. Then it seemed as though we just couldn't see many things significant enough to fight about anymore.
    In summation, as I wrap up this rather intimidating post which I hardly feel qualified to write, let me say that if a woman has given you her love, you have probably had just about the best thing that this life has to offer. Why are you on this quest?
    From the Author's Green Retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Four Free Games

     Hey, everyone. If free games makes the start of a new week a little better, we're in luck. Check these out on your friendly, neighborhood app store. 1) Cowboys vs. Aliens vs. Ninjas- This is a dual stick shooter, much like Mini-Gore . You are an old-west cowboy with a vast array of weapons (earned gradually). You have to move and shoot, avoiding death, as you battle Ninjas and aliens. Some aliens are quite large. Some enemies are big Sumo Wrestlers. There are sword-wielding ninjas and these aliens that yield a mini-nuclear explosion when killed. When your enemies die they leave behind little stacks of money, or skulls. You collect these items because of a strange hobby of trophy grabbing for your macabre collection. Just kidding, the items can be spent or used as the game progresses. This is a good game and I played it for a while last night. 2) The Heist - A puzzle game with a twist. As you try to open a bank vault, you must face a series of different puzzles. Namely, B

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Game Review: NFS, Hot Pursuit

    This game was one which I refused to download for a while, even though it was on sale for 99 cents. I thought that it looked boring and narrow. Boy, was I wrong! This game totally kicks butt. It is one of those rare games that will actually give you an adrenaline rush. It is that intense. The developers, EA Games, have recently updated the app to include two main avenues of play. You can either be the cops or the racers who are trying to evade the cops. As a racer you have to deal with cops trying to hit you and make you crash, cops buzzing you with helicopters, oncoming traffic, tack strips spread across the road and roadblocks. In the cop mode you are a cop and you are trying to stop a reckless racer by any means, fair or foul. As a racer you can use nitrous oxide for increased speed, overdrive capability and oil slicks. You also can jam the cops communication with a jamming unit. Like almost all games these days, it gets harder as you go along. I prefer my games to be a bit easi