Skip to main content

My Raincoat

 Severe storms were moving through the mountains tonight. After having the flu for the past 8 days, I felt slightly better. Then I had to be out in this mess due to work problems. Rain in sheets and winds in excess of 50 miles an hour were my lot as I climbed in and out of the company truck, unlocking gates and going into a remote area, dealing with troublesome pumps and the like. Bit of a drag for the elderly, I assure you. Must I pay for my misspent youth in this fashion?
     Truth to tell, wouldn't life be boring if you sat in a cube all the time? I did that for a few years and made great money at it, more than I make now. At any rate, I made it home, safe and sound, by the grace of God, and I'm now sipping some red wine. I dried off and I'm feeling pretty good.
    As I drove home on the road from the pit, I saw a wolf start to dart across the road in front of me in the downpour. He ducked back under cover at the last minute. He had a head as big as a hub cap and it would have been just as flat if he hadn't put on his brakes just in time. It's nice to know that only a wolf is as stupid as you are, to be out in such a quagmire.
      Let me tell you about my raincoat. Yeah. My raincoat. This thing, dripping in the corner, was given to me by a grateful military in 1974. Tonight it once again helped protect me from the elements. I probably wouldn't take $10,000 for it. If you could see some of the crummy spots and weather and trouble I've been through while I was wearing that grungy coat. It's beginning to get these odd cracks in it. There are huge globs of tar on it where I got on the roof of a sick friend's house one day and repaired his roof cause he was sick with the flu. It was pouring the rain and colder than a well digger's shovel. My belly makes it fit a little snug now, but after 37 years, it's pretty cool that I can wear it at all. The thing is similar to what the old cowboys called a slicker or a greasecloth. It hangs all the way to mid-calf. (The body part, not the animal.)
     The atmosphere here at the green retreat, tonight, is very neat. It's unseasonably warm, close to 60. It's raining and the wind is howling in the tops of all these 60 foot hardwood trees.
There were numerous limbs down as I drove home. I was very grateful for the new wiper blades on the car. It seems the worst of the lightning has headed east to give the coast a bit of a thrill.
    All this makes me wonder what the weather is like for you guys tonight.  I saw on Google analytics that the countries where I have readers is up in the 60's. Y'all must be pretty bored if you're interested in my life, but I'm glad you are. I was sorry to hear about the thumping you Aussies have been getting from the weather. You'd probably think our winter has been a walk in the park. Of course this is your summer, I take it. I would certainly like to take a trip down under. I guess I'll have to settle for a trip to Outback Steak House. G'day.
    From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...