Skip to main content

The Old Man In The Straw Hat

     I heard an odd story, years ago. A young guy goes to see a girl at her home in the country. They're both young, early teens, so it's a chaperon thing, sitting on the porch swing at mom's house. Mom and daughter go in to fix some refreshments while the teenage boy sits on the porch. He notices an old man at the deserted house just down the road. The old dude has on bib overalls with one side unfastened. He is wearing a straw hat. The old guy disappears around the back of the house.
    When the mom and her daughter come back out, the boy mentions seeing someone at the house next door. The mom shakes her head.
    "You must be mistaken, honey. That's my folks' place. No one lives there anymore."
    The young man replies, "The old man had on a straw hat and wore bib overalls with one snap undone and dropped down."
     Both of the females' faces turned completely white. The mom said that the boy had just described her father, who had been dead for exactly ten years on that day.
    I am not saying I believe or disbelieve that story, but I found it interesting. Glad it wasn't at my house.
    One more thought. I read an interesting statistic on-line today. In 2009 there were 15,000 deaths from natural disasters. In 2010 there were 250,000 deaths from natural disasters. Is climate change real or false?
    From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...