Skip to main content

Gaming: Graphics Aren't Everything (NOVA)

     Hey, everyone. Wow, have I been gaming a lot? Yes. In fact, it was with difficulty that I took some possible gaming time and did some household chores today.  The best thing about gaming is that you can escape from harsh realities, the aggravations of working for a living, and to a certain degree, your worries.
    The first game I want to talk about today is called N.O.V.A. and you will doubtless say to me, "Hey, dude, that is not a new game."
    You would be correct. It is the original of the currently popular Nova 2, which I have reviewed and recommended. It is a Halo clone, so they say. My answer to that is "I have never played Halo." At any rate, I have decided that since I enjoyed NOVA 2 so much, I would go back and play the original in the series. There is a free version of NOVA and I had played it and liked it. Let me say up front that the best thing about the original NOVA is that it is easier than NOVA 2. I can actually have a pretty good run of play before getting killed and having to respawn. The hardcore dudes scoff at a game that  involves game play which doesn't rigidly contest every foot of advancement. Well, some of us are not particularly good, or experienced at gaming, okay?
     On the other hand, the graphics in the first generation NOVA are not nearly as good as NOVA 2; no  surprise there. I bought NOVA with some of my Christmas present(an I-Tunes card). It is a healthy $4.99, which is funny because the newer version was marked down for the holidays to 99 cents.
    The recipe for this game is  like this. You are a soldier in a future time. You are sent into space to a drifting ship. You find that the crew have been killed. As you walk about, you see where some of their dead bodies have been pulled along the floor and left a trail of blood. You are not left in doubt very long about the perpetrators of these violent crimes. There are armored soldiers and huge creatures who attack you, and despite the fact that you are a good dude, you have to put them down. I mean, it's self-defense. They came hunting trouble, talking trash, and you had to drop the hammer on them.
     At one point, you have to get past a hallway where plasma piping is leaking. It comes out, conveniently, in bursts, so that you can time your dash and make it past the leaks unharmed. At another point your passage is blocked and you must go outside the ship to advance to your goal. The problem with that is, there is no air out there for a growing boy like yourself. Therefore you must depend on oxygen stations.
     Frankly, I am really enjoying this game. Because it is not such a struggle, I am probably enjoying it more than its descendant.
     NOVA is not the only retro move I made this week. I also bought the first(?) generation of the Modern Combat series. This one is called Modern Combat, Sandstorm. It was also a surprising $4.99. Surprising because it has been out for a year or two and was still a bit pricey, even though it has been replaced by newer games like Modern Combat 2, Black Pegasus and Modern Combat 3, Fallen Nation. In each new installment the game gets more intense, with better graphics and alas, much harder game play. In # 3, it is foot by bloody foot as you go from mission to mission. It is tough enough that I put in for leave after the mission on the enemy aircraft carrier. Ha, ha. That's a joke. But I digress. In Modern Combat, Sandstorm, you can have a nice run of advancement similar to NOVA. It is fun    and a good war game. It, as well as NOVA, are definitely worth $5 a piece. In Sandstorm, you are tasked with a variety of missions, such as planting explosives on communication towers.
     So, whether I am dodging green balls of fire, shot by space pirates, or shooting it out with terrorists in the desert, the original installment of these series is pretty cool.
    Much to my surprise, my fingers are getting stiff and I have yet to talk about M.U.S.E, Frontline Commando, Call of Mini-Zombies, Call of Duty Zombies, Snowboard, Sonic and Sega Racing, Gangstar Rio and Grand Theft Auto. These, and a dozen others, I have been playing for several days. I will try to put out another post tonight, tomorrow, or both, and delve once again into the ever-changing world of IOS gaming.
    From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...