Skip to main content

Movie Review: Unstoppable

   Hey, everyone. I wanted to mention several things tonight. First of all I watched a cool movie on TV starring Denzel Washington. The title is Unstoppable. This show is based on a true story. It happens in Pennsylvania, USA. Through gross negligence a train is moving down the tracks at high speed, without anyone on it. Yeah, it is scary to think about.
    Denzel Washington stars as aging engineer Frank who has a new conductor named Will. (Played by Chris Pine) Frank and Will are hauling freight with their train when they hear about the runaway train that is heading their way. Without revealing too much, I'll say that the rest of the movie deals with the efforts of the railway people to: A. stop the train or B. Cover their backside as well as possible.
   Frank comes up with a pretty crazy scheme to stop the train. Since Frank has just gotten his lay-off notice, it certainly is noble, and perhaps foolish, of him to risk his life for the railway folks. But really, the hazardous chemicals on board the misbehaving train are heading for a derailment in the town where Frank's two daughters work, so he has a vested interest in the disaster.
    This movie is a nailbiter. There are not any spots that drag a great deal. Suspense is the operative word. I liked it and so did Carley. She rates it as 4.5 stars out of 5. I rate it as 4 stars out of 5. Give it a try, if you are not out on the town. Lucky you.
   We put up our Christmas tree this evening. I usually wait until about two weeks before Christmas so that I don't get tired of it. If our work schedules don't coincide all that well we just put it up whenever.  Tonight was whenever.
   We had a bunch of the Baggage TV show taped up on the DVR and watched a couple tonight that were not re-runs. Man, I am so glad that I am not dating right now. People really have some baggage. I am learning some new slang. For example, Manscaping and Bromance. Don't ask, this is a G-Rated blog. Stop a 20 year old on the street and ask them. By the way, this show is on The Game Show Network, if you want to check it out.
     I know that I have been over-doing the gaming a bit here on the blog. I like to write about a variety of stuff, like books, movies and so on. Let me say that there is a cool, free game that I like. It is called Zombie Samurai Lite. The recipe is this. You have a dojo and zombies are attacking. You use your sword (your finger) to stop them. Don't hit the civilians who are fleeing to you for help. Then these Kamikazi zombies on hang gliders start flying in. I gather that there are more types of zombies in the full version which is 99 cents.
     Need For Speed Shift 2, a racing game, is free right now. I've played it a bit. It is a nice game for free. You should try it if you like that genre.
    I try to get rid of some games off the Padster fairly often. Tonight I looked under Settings, then clicked About, to see how many apps I have on my I-Pad. 185. Yeah, the gaming is out of hand. Looking back on my younger years I think I either had incredible restraint about things or I was a nerd. Now it seems so easy to overindulge. Is this some sort of Roman Gladiator "Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die" sort of mindset, brought on by old age and knowledge of one's impending dirt nap? I don't know. Perhaps this question and others will be answered the next time we get together, here at the author's green retreat.
   I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio