Skip to main content

Movie Review: Unstoppable

   Hey, everyone. I wanted to mention several things tonight. First of all I watched a cool movie on TV starring Denzel Washington. The title is Unstoppable. This show is based on a true story. It happens in Pennsylvania, USA. Through gross negligence a train is moving down the tracks at high speed, without anyone on it. Yeah, it is scary to think about.
    Denzel Washington stars as aging engineer Frank who has a new conductor named Will. (Played by Chris Pine) Frank and Will are hauling freight with their train when they hear about the runaway train that is heading their way. Without revealing too much, I'll say that the rest of the movie deals with the efforts of the railway people to: A. stop the train or B. Cover their backside as well as possible.
   Frank comes up with a pretty crazy scheme to stop the train. Since Frank has just gotten his lay-off notice, it certainly is noble, and perhaps foolish, of him to risk his life for the railway folks. But really, the hazardous chemicals on board the misbehaving train are heading for a derailment in the town where Frank's two daughters work, so he has a vested interest in the disaster.
    This movie is a nailbiter. There are not any spots that drag a great deal. Suspense is the operative word. I liked it and so did Carley. She rates it as 4.5 stars out of 5. I rate it as 4 stars out of 5. Give it a try, if you are not out on the town. Lucky you.
   We put up our Christmas tree this evening. I usually wait until about two weeks before Christmas so that I don't get tired of it. If our work schedules don't coincide all that well we just put it up whenever.  Tonight was whenever.
   We had a bunch of the Baggage TV show taped up on the DVR and watched a couple tonight that were not re-runs. Man, I am so glad that I am not dating right now. People really have some baggage. I am learning some new slang. For example, Manscaping and Bromance. Don't ask, this is a G-Rated blog. Stop a 20 year old on the street and ask them. By the way, this show is on The Game Show Network, if you want to check it out.
     I know that I have been over-doing the gaming a bit here on the blog. I like to write about a variety of stuff, like books, movies and so on. Let me say that there is a cool, free game that I like. It is called Zombie Samurai Lite. The recipe is this. You have a dojo and zombies are attacking. You use your sword (your finger) to stop them. Don't hit the civilians who are fleeing to you for help. Then these Kamikazi zombies on hang gliders start flying in. I gather that there are more types of zombies in the full version which is 99 cents.
     Need For Speed Shift 2, a racing game, is free right now. I've played it a bit. It is a nice game for free. You should try it if you like that genre.
    I try to get rid of some games off the Padster fairly often. Tonight I looked under Settings, then clicked About, to see how many apps I have on my I-Pad. 185. Yeah, the gaming is out of hand. Looking back on my younger years I think I either had incredible restraint about things or I was a nerd. Now it seems so easy to overindulge. Is this some sort of Roman Gladiator "Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die" sort of mindset, brought on by old age and knowledge of one's impending dirt nap? I don't know. Perhaps this question and others will be answered the next time we get together, here at the author's green retreat.
   I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...