Skip to main content

Apple Rant (Mild)

    Hey, everyone. It's no secret that I am an Apple fan. I love gaming on the I-Pad and the whole thing. I was proud of Apple the other day when they stopped Big Fish Games from initiating the subscription gaming deal on the app store.
    However, it seems that I can see a bit of a change in the general spirit of the company. I read a quote from Steve Jobs biography to the effect that Steve was not thrilled with the direction he foresaw the company moving under some of the people at the top.
    Since Steve has left us it seems that there are quite a few of the developers on the store taking little liberties with app updates and in-app purchases. Things that, while not dishonest or illegal, are a bit unsavory. With the former regime, the customer always was a factor in the decision making process. Apple really 'got it' about how to treat people.
   Forgetting the app store for the moment, let me talk about the I-Cloud. Are they trying to force everyone into being a part of the cloud? I recognize its convenience and technological brilliance. I don't like to be force-fed anything. I opted out of using the cloud when IOS 5 rolled around. All my devices have slowed down. When I plug in my I-pad to my PC, I get a message box. It states: This device can not be used because it is not signed up for the mobile device program. That is probably not the exact wording, okay? I gather that I can't sync to my computer because I am not a Cloud person. This started just the other day when the update for Safari and something else came out. What was that, 5.2 or 5.3? Whatever.
    Don't get me wrong, I can still use my I-Pad for all the stuff I do with it. Play games, read news, buy and read books, surf the web, blog, buy and listen to music and a hundred other things. As far as I can tell, the only major 'punishment' for not being in the cloud is I can't sync stuff to my computer. I really don't care about that. It may just be that as a non-tech person, I am seeing things in the wrong light. As a guy who watched 'Conspiracy Theory' and didn't think Mel Gibson was all that weird, maybe I am hypersensitive. Why does it seem that powerful people want to know our every move? Why does anyone want to know every time I play a game, which game I play, who I play it with, which article I read? How long is it until the profilers of the world go nuts and build a file on everyone who reads 1984, Atlas Shrugged and Das Capital, then plays zombie games for more than an hour a day? My point is merely that my man Steve's hand is no longer on the tiller and I think I can tell it. Wow. Nice imagery. I could see Mr. Jobs at the helm of a sloop, with his hand on the tiller and watching the sails fill or luff. Whatever. I just hate to think of Apple's boardroom conversation going like this, "Well, we've built one of the most amazing companies in the history of the world, how can we destroy it ?" A little guy raises his hand and says, "I know. Lets forget what got us to this place and start to aggravate our customers."
   Thanks for reading my weekly (?) rant.
   I'm CE Wills

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...