Skip to main content

Game Review: Epoch

     Hey, everyone. I've had a good day, here at the green retreat. I've been playing the new robot game called Epoch. In this action game you are a robot with hi-tech weapons and a yen for destruction. You have come into a futuristic world, tasked from 'birth' with finding and protecting a slick looking princess. She is in a tower, we have that Intel, and we must wade through a plethora of enemy robots with attitudes that seem to indicate that they have migraine headaches. Not to make light of migraines, because I know some folks who suffer from them.
      Let's start with the base line data. This game is one of the most visually striking games ever put on an I-Pad. It's graphics are powered by the Unreal Tech Engine and they kick buttsky. It weighs in at 246 MB. It costs $5.99 normally but is priced at $2.99 on sale, as we speak.
      This is a shooter game, my favorite genre. Let me say up front that if you are expecting the depth and involvement of Modern Combat 3 or Shadowgun, you will likely be a bit disappointed. That sounds a bit harsh so let me expound on it. You tap on the enemy robots to target them, which takes the aiming out of the equation. I like the aiming part of the shooter games because it gives me a feeling that my skill is a factor. (What little I have) So this is a minus for me. I don't mind the aim assist, like Modern Combat 3, because you still have the deal where you leave one target, hit the scope, swivel to the new victim etc. Epoch is a bit like leaving the straight shift, 1955 Chevrolet and driving the 1969 Camaro with the automatic transmission. It's not like it isn't fun, or cool, but it is not the same.
     Allow me a further example. This game is that beautiful woman who rocks your eyes. Her less visually stunning friend may well rock your world. Is this game worth the price of $2.99? Heck, yeah. Is it worth the regular price of $5.99? Yes. Is it quite on a par with games like 9MM, Nova 2, Modern Combat 2 or 3, Shadowgun or those 5 star doozies we brag about to our friends? No, but this is a solid game.
     I forgot to mention the gameplay on this. Your robot person does flips back and forth,from side to side, to escape the barrage of enemy fire. He can also duck down behind fragments of the nuked cityscape to which he is native. There is no wandering around, checking out the sights or following one of those Gameloft directional arrows. You get some cool power-ups, like guided missiles and grenades, which level the playing field with the superior numbers of the bad guys.
     I'd like to thank my reader, Shadowgun APK for his comments on the Shadowgun Posts. I appreciate it.
    Hey, try a freebie called Draw. It's a western themed shooter that is a bit of fun. Also, a game called Zombie Gunship is free right now. It is normally $1.99, I believe. I didn't buy it previously because it is all black and white, not visually stunning, like that lady that hangs out with the Prom Queen. In this game you are a gunner on a AC-130, tasked with killing Zombies and not killing fleeing humans as they try to reach the safety of a bunker. There are power-ups, weapon upgrades and the like. It's a good game. Especially for free.
    Duty calls. Adios!
From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...