Skip to main content

Book Review: Those In Peril

   Hey, everyone. It has been a pleasure for me to read Wilbur Smith's latest novel called Those In Peril. I consider it to be a solid 4.5 stars out of 5. It is a book I'd highly recommend. Let me say that it is not for the squeamish. It is raw, violent and disquieting. It chronicles some of the most evil men imaginable and their evil deeds. As hardened an old codger as I am, there were a couple of passages which I chose to skip. Here's the recipe for this fine book.
    Hazel Bannock is the widow of the powerful founder of Bannock Oil. She is smart, beautiful and tough, yet she is a pain in the butt for her head of security, Hector Cross. She hates Cross because he doesn't kiss up to her. Yet, when her daughter is kidnapped, she turns to Hector Cross for help.
   Cayla Bannock has been kidnapped by Adam Tippoo Tip, who is the leader of a band of pirates in the south seas. She is taken to a mountain fortress on the African coast and held for ransom. Her treatment is atrocious and Hector Cross mounts an operation to recover the 20 year old lass. He has to deal with treachery and deceit, even within the circle of close friends who follow him into battle. Saving the girl will only be a portion of his mission. There is the sweet cup of revenge to be tasted. As always, I walk a fine line between reviewing a book and ruining its surprises. Let me say, however, that this novel is fast paced, action packed and should absolutely not be missed. Few men or women know more about Africa and her people, customs, animals and nuances than Wilbur Smith. He can darn sure spin a good yarn.
   This book has a femme fatale, a Russian, who reminds me of Karina, my favorite character from KGB Retirement Program. (My own book) Karina's favorite method of dealing with her enemies is also employed by the heroes in Smith's book. You'll see what I mean in the exciting conclusion of Those In Peril. I hope you enjoy it. I did.
    From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...