Skip to main content

Cheap Slacks

    Hey, everyone. I had a nice day today. Slept in, lounged around reading Pulse news on the Padster. Played about 20 songs on the keyboard. Carley and I sang a few. I was using a music book called Anthology Of Rock Songs. Some nice person really did a good job breaking those songs down so that they are fun and easy to play, although still quite representative of the original. It's quite fun going from one generation of songs to another as you flip the pages.
     Have you ever noticed how many songs there are that the title does nothing to help you remember the song? Like I was playing a song by Toto today called Africa. He sings about the rains down in A..fri..ca. No problem, the title and the words are mutually efficient in bringing back a memory so you can buy it without saying, "You know that song called Berkely Blues but it's really about Africa?"
    Books and movies are the same way. So many titles seem to have nothing to do with the content. I have books before me on these shelves that I read the title and say, "What the heck was that about?" I think that, in our desire to be cryptic, we who write mess up on the titles of our books. This is especially true of the spy genre. Of course, it's their book or song and they worked their butt off on it, so call it what you darn well please.
    Recently, I read a review of the excellent game called 9mm. This guy in the review did a nice job on it but he said that he played the game all the way through in 2 hours. Gee. I know I'm an old player and I'm slow and all that. But I have had this game for about 2 weeks . I have played it at least an hour a day and haven't come close to finishing it. The first night I played it, I played it for 3 or 4 hours. I don't mind the time because I want good value for my money. Besides, it is terrific fun. The thing is, how can I even think about playing any on-line multi-player if I am the very epitome of a 'Lame Gamer'? I will say that I could have used some help in that alley behind the Sunset Diner the other night. I was pinned down behind some crates and these bad guys were wearing me out and cursing me. I had a shotgun and I would pop in and out of cover and 'redecorate their kitchen'. Sorry, I was getting into character for a moment. It is a great game. Notice how well the title fits? 9mm. Oh yeah, that's about shooting stuff, right?
    The on-line multi-player thing. I don't know why I have such a phobia about this. I am by nature reclusive but this is supposed to be great fun. I did see some comments around the app store and other places about the fact that there is some hacking that goes on through this medium. For instance, with the wonderful space shooter called NOVA 2, you can buy these additional 'maps' that feature other planets. A guy was telling about how he had been hacked by this guy who he had played with. It's a shame that a few can mess things up for the many.
    I scarcely recognize my present conservative personality as belonging to the wild guy that I was during the decades of the 60's and 70's. I am almost totally domesticated, I guess.  I may spend a bit of time this evening in refection about this. Perhaps I can figure out how I arrived here on the outskirts of civilization; the elderly hermit, at the place called the author's green retreat.
    I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio