Skip to main content

Game Review: Real Golf 2011, HD


Hey, everyone. It's a nice warm day in the green retreat and I'm enjoying a day off. Gameloft, one of the leading game companies for the Padster has another sale going this weekend and you know how I like to shop the sales. Yesterday I bought Real Golf 2011, HD for the princely sum of 99 cents. Here's the recipe for this game.
First of all, I like it a lot and would give it 4.5 stars out of 5. The graphics are exceptional and the game-play is fun. You have 10 courses, beautifully depicted. You have 10 golfers, not so beautifully depicted. They are not really recognizable as the avatar of the pro they are depicting, which is surprising with the otherwise great graphics.
For each golfer, you have a little intro with their background. There is on-line multi-player, which is supposed to be a lot of fun, though I haven't tried it. You can also play over local WI-Fi or bluetooth.
This game is normally $6.99 so this would be a good time to grab it. I love Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12 but I'd played it so much I was wanting some new courses. All the young folks love Flick Golf so I bought it for 99 cents last week and hated it. Everybody's tastes are different, I guess.
Real Golf has a rendering of the greens where you can see dips and slopes really well. The putting, maligned by a few reviewers, I actually like a bit better than Tiger Woods. As you address the ball, you see a yellow line appear which shows the projected path of the ball. You can see how the slope of the ground will cause the ball to miss right or left. Then you tap a bit on the right side or the left side of the screen to adjust. Just like your mental process in real life would lead you to automatically aim at a spot just a touch uphill of the hole.
I am still trying to figure everything out. For instance, there are these 'emails' in the menu which are from the golfers association, inviting you to play in America or South Africa. This is all in fun but they seem to hinder me from playing certain events. I'll want to play a course in Japan and it will say, "You have emails, do you want to skip them?" I'll tap yes or no and still can't play that course. I suppose it is something I am doing wrong but it is a pain in the butt. There should be better instructions, for sure.
When you are about to drive the ball off the tee, you can tap on the screen and change your aim, left or right. Heck, if you want to, you can knock the ball into the trees out of bounds, on purpose.
Hey, I almost forgot, I chose Greg Norman as my avatar. Greg is one of my favorite celebrities. I think he is a cool dude and very classy. I wish they had rendered his avatar a bit better. To quibble over minor things for a 99 cent, terrific game seems dirty so let me say this. I played it for a couple of hours last night and wondered where the time had gone. I highly recommend it.
Gameloft has 5 other games on sale this weekend. Asphalt 5, a racing game, is a steal for 99 cents. I don't have it and haven't played it, so how do I know it's a steal? I bought Asphalt 6 over the 4th of July and I love it. If its predecessor is anything like it, you won't be sorry for getting it for 99 cents.
Another one of the sale items is Hero Of Sparta 2 HD, which I have. I have had no luck progressing in this game past the very first stage. I also am not a huge sword fighting fan but I will say the graphics are great and if you like this sort of thing at all you might want it for the paltry sum of 99 cents.
All these games are pretty heavy on the gigs. You might want to dump a few puzzle games to make room for them. I put this in here to aggravate my wife. She's the puzzler and I am the shooter. You know the Batman character with the question mark on his costume? They call him the Riddler. I think I might get my wife a suit like that since she is a puzzle freak.
From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.
P.S. I think, overall, I might like the Tiger Woods game just a tad better than Real Golf. They are both terrific.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio