Skip to main content

Showdown Of Ebook Gunslingers (Amazon/Apple)

    Hey, everyone. Remember in the Clint Eastwood movie called The Good, The Bad And The Ugly? At the end, the three gunmen stood in a triangle to shoot it out, with no one knowing who would shoot who? It was tense and cool. Tonight we stand in the shadow of another showdown. None of these gunmen are bad guys. Most people like all the companies involved and none of them are doing anything wrong. Here's the recipe.
    For the past 15 months or so, Apple has allowed companies to have apps on the app store which had provisions inside the app for consumers to buy things at another site. In such instances Apple received no money for that. Anything sold through the app store nets Apple a 30% cut. All this time, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, Sony Books and others had apps through which they sold books to I-Padsters. Apple did not profit from this. It was very nice for us, and incredibly magnanimous of Apple to allow us to use their app store to buy books from their competitors.
     When you think about it, that was incredibly decent of Apple. I think it was also good for business, as far as selling I-Pads goes. It was not a closed system. You were not locked in. What I mean is, if you have a Nook, you buy from Barnes and Noble. If you were to say, "Dang it! Those I-Pads look cool and can do so much. I'll buy one." Well, guess what? Those 78 books on your Nook? They don't transfer to your I-Pad, is my understanding. Also, you can't cruise to I-Books and buy a book with your Nook, I don't think.
    It's the same deal with Kindle, I understand. With Kindle, you buy from Amazon and only books from Amazon can you read on a Kindle.
    On my I-Pad, I have books from Kobo, Sony Books, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Smashwords, Stanza, Google Books and others. I like that. It feels, tastes and smells like freedom.
    Now, things are about to change. As of today, Apple demands that for any app on their store, that app cannot have listed on it a means of buying something outside the app store. That would seem to negate buying a book on Amazon or Barnes and Noble. Apple wants their 30% cut. When a vendor sells you a game, Apple gets 30% of the price.
   Will Apple truly enforce this, beginning today? Gee, I hope not. I can see where it would be beneficial in some instances where game companies have done some unsavory things once they got people to other sites. No, I'm talking about the book thing. I truly understand how Apple feels slighted. They are helping their major competitors sell books and getting no cut. But the way they have handled this up until now has been so darn big and visionary, successful and magnanimous that I feel it would be a mistake to change now.
    Many folks chose the I-Pad for the ability to get books from all over. Let's not change the status quo which has made you the dominant, almost the only, figure in the tablet market. What part of that 14 billion dollar app store pie don't you like? Isn't it enough to be one of the most admired and successful companies on earth, a true trendsetter? Don't risk all by closing your fist on something that is certainly yours by every legal and moral standard. Are you justified in doing this? Yes. Does it make good sense, business wise? Absolutely. But is it what is best for you? I think not.
    Think about Dell computers. If you had a Dell PC and Dell wanted a cut from everything you bought off it, you'd freak out, right? Well, that's not a good analogy because Dell doesn't have an app store, but you catch my drift. This tablet of mine is a computer. Give me freedom to enjoy it. People knock you, Apple, for being proprietary. Don't fall into this scenario. Don't allow this tendency in you to sour things now, when you are on top of the world. How can things get better for you? Let's have detente, free trade and all that. Let's see Kindle and Nook allow books from Apple and vice-versa. Then, when the Amazon tablet comes out, Steve Jobs can say, "Hey, Jeff Bezos, where's the I-Books app? Where's the App Store app on that thing? I want people to buy app store games on the Amazon tablet. "
    Let every e-reader work for any book from any store. If we're into this e-book thing, let's get all the way in. Let's not hinder a great new opportunity. Go in peace, my children.
   From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio