Skip to main content

Gesundheit! Bond, Boogers And Books

   Hey, everyone. Cool Mushroom, huh? This was growing under my deck and it looks like a granny's hair that has been out in the Kansas wind all day. There is a bit of yellow streaks in the fuzz also.
   New games came out on the app store today and I bought one. This is certainly not unusual but I rarely buy a puzzle game. Gesundheit! is a cute game with some odd characters. Most notably there is a little pig with allergies. He sneezes and blows snot around. This has been sort of an issue in his life, as one can imagine. It has cost him a few friends. It has hindered his love life. On the positive side of the ledger, it saves him from a monster. This monster has been terrorizing the community. The monster has some baggage, though. He likes to eat boogers. I know, gross. It is with difficulty that I can write about this. Feel free to quit reading at this point.
     As the little green pig with the sniffles tries to negotiate mazes, the monster pretends to sleep. When the pig gets close to him the monster eats the little guy. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to discharge mucus to an area, wait until the monster is engaged in his addictive and disgusting habit, then scurry past him. (I am not making this up). There are times when you can snare the monster in a trap.
     This game is 99 cents for the i-phone version and $1.99 for the HD. It is not my type of game, since there is nothing to shoot and no explosions. I have to admit that it is as cute as a puppy. Kids will love it, as long as you give them some parental guidance on the dietary habits of monsters. The puzzles are hard, by the way. There are 40 levels and they start getting hard about level 2 for a poor player like myself. For 99 cents, I can't complain. On the app store they rate it 5 stars out of 5. I won't rate it because I simply don't like games of this nature. If you do, you will like it.
     Plants vs. Zombies, one of the truly great games of all time, has recently come out with an update that includes some new mini-games. If you haven't tried this excellent game, you should get it. It is truly special and has zero booger-eating monsters.
    Cowboys vs. Aliens, the new movie with Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig, came out today. The critics seem to like it, which is not always a good sign. Oops! I guess I have to stop bad-mouthing the critics now, since I (sort of) am a critic myself. I might go see this movie tomorrow but I doubt it.
      I am now reading the third book in the Jack Reacher series, written by Lee Child. I have read the first two books and found them quite good but this one is exceptional thus far. The title is Trip Wire and it involves a truly horrific and evil villain whose machinations are destroying many lives. He is killing folks and taking over corporations. Kidnapping, assault and murder are his hobbies. Jack Reacher gets involved because a friend of his military days is involved. More germane to the tale is the fact that his friend's daughter is a long lost love. You might want to invest a few of your hard-earned shekels on this one. Fortunately, you can read any book of the series without adhering to a particular order. I'll do a full review when I finish it.
     I downloaded the free sample of a book by Jeffrey Deaver the other evening and I like it. This is a book about the British spy, James Bond. Bond is possibly my favorite character of all fiction and Deaver does a good job with him. I plan on buying the book. I would have bought the hardcover last weekend but it was still a bit pricey. I suppose that I will just pop over to I-Books and grab it. Which leads us to yet another topic.
   Amazon, Kobo and Barnes and Noble have complied with Apple's ultimatum concerning their apps for I-Pad. They no longer feature the ability to buy books on those apps. All this means is that you have to open your browser; most I-Pad users probably use Safari. You go to Amazon, buy your book. Then, the next time you open your Amazon App on the I-Pad, the book will appear when you hit the sync button. A few weeks ago, I wrote a pretty good article on this. If you would like to read it, look to your right and click the post titled Showdown Of the Ebook Gunslingers.
     The rambling has gone on long enough. I hope you have a great weekend. If you don't, please don't blame me. I can't stand the pressure.   
   From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio