Skip to main content

Forsaken

    Hello. I'm an I-Pod Touch. I belong to Carley Wills. Less than 15 months ago I was a hot item. I was in a case in Best Buy. People would come by and try the display device and they would ... want me. I have to admit, not bragging, that I am really cool. 32 gigs of storage, a nice-sized screen and all the capabilities of an I-Pad.
      One day a nice lady came in and tried the display. When she decided to buy one of us, I was thrilled. "Pick me!" I shouted, but no one could hear. She seemed like she would be a good owner. I had heard horror stories at the factory of owners who were hard-core gamers. They tended to get excited and pound the buttons so hard. Then there were the careless teenagers who left their Touch out in the rain. I shuddered at the thought. The clerk picked me up from the stack in the case and I knew the deal was done. I was happy! Soon I would be playing music for the lady and we could read a book together. Then the lady bought me a really nice looking case that fit so snug and was a snappy blue color. I felt like a prima donna.
     The lady's name was Carley and she took me home and lavished me with attention, which really means love, doesn't it? We would curl up in the recliner for hours on end. Reading books and playing puzzle games. Her touch was so gentle that it almost put me to sleep. My goodness, that woman is a Scrabble fiend. I took pride in her puzzle ability. I could go on-line while she was asleep and see that she was near the top of the leaderboards in a lot of games like Chuzzles and Peggle.
     Sometimes Carley would take me to work with her and we'd play on her breaks. People would come up and ask about me and Carley would show me off. One of the ladies had smelly hands but other than that, I didn't mind the attention.
     But then things changed. Carley's husband, CE, saw her squinting at my screen and talked her into buying an I-Pad. She got a 32 gig version which is the same storage as I have. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Carely's I-Pad. After all, she's my cousin and an amazing device. It gets a little old hearing people 'ooh and ahh' over her, though.
     The worst thing happened this weekend. Carley had been using me less and less as the weeks went by. This weekend they had a big cookout here at the green retreat. There were several elderly people, middle-aged people and a bunch of kids. I looked forward to plenty of fun because at past gatherings I was greatly in demand. Do I have to tell you? Can I bear to recall it? I lay there and watched people argue over the 3 I-Pads and sneezed at the dust on my face. I wasn't picked up once.
    The very worst was when the kids were all playing Carnivores. They were having a great time and I wanted to play so bad! When everyone left and the house got quiet, I was left with my thoughts. I watched from a foot away as Carley relaxed with the latest HD puzzle game on her I-Pad. CE played NOVA 2, then went to sleep in his chair, as usual. All the devices here at the green retreat secretly call him the napster. For his sleeping habits, not for stealing music. Ha, Ha.
    I told CE's I-Pad 2 not to get too cocky.
"There will come a time when a new device will come along and you'll languish on a shelf somewhere." I paused, then said, "Truly, though, when I see your big 9.7 inch screen, I feel so ... inadequate."
    From the graveyard of tech, I'm Carley's I-Pod Touch.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...