Skip to main content

Battle of the Snipers

    I stood on a rocky hillside in a country thousands of miles from my home. I had a sniper's rifle nestled in the crook of my arm. A few feet away stood Corporal Washington. He was my lone companion at the moment.
    It was a bitterly cold night, several degrees below zero, with a stiff wind out of the north. We wore the latest and best arctic gear and were relatively comfortable. At least physically. Mentally, I was still trying to wrap my head around the fact that I was about to kill a variety of strangers. Young men who had never harmed me or my loved ones directly but were part of a war effort directed against my country. Through no fault of their own, they would die by my hand in a few minutes.
   I blocked the thoughts from my mind, knowing that they could cause me to fail in my ruthless task at the worst possible time, causing my own death and the deaths of my comrades. Then I took a rest position across the top of the boulder and waited for Washington to signal for the start of the fracas. I looked at the enemies which strolled about so unconcernedly. Below us was a bridge that led into a weapons factory. On the south side of the bridge was a squad of three men on guard duty. On the north side of the bridge was another squad of three. The remaining members of our team would infiltrate the base after I had disposed of these two groups. Washington waved a hand. I brought my weapon to bear on the south side of the bridge and put the cross-hairs on a soldier in white camos. I squeezed the trigger gently and his head turned to a red cloud which drifted away in the breeze. His closest comrade looked up curiously as the man fell but before he could raise the alarm I had shot him. He dropped the rifle from his nerveless hand and sank to the snow-covered tarmac. Then I shot the third man of that group. Quickly I switched my attention to the squad across the bridge. There were three shots and three bodies crumpled into the snow. Then Washington and I moved cautiously down the hill to meet with our fellows inside the complex.
    Washington and I were closer than brothers. We had fought across the face of the planet, against the enemies of our nation. I will say that he had two glaring faults. First and foremost, when in battle he was forevermore crying out, "Cover, I need cover fire!" This drives me crazy. I mean, I'm scared too. I would love some cover fire, okay? But I'm fighting for my life over here.
    The second thing Washington does that bothers me a bit is this: he will stop and go through the pockets of enemy soldiers searching for the odd keepsake. I mean, during a pitched battle he will do this. Once he almost got me killed because he was stealing a Zippo lighter off a dead guy. We had a fistfight after that mission.
    We ran across the bridge and up to the door of the train terminal. Then we crept into the complex, ever alert for the enemy. Then I heard bullets pinging off metal and saw red lasers sweeping here and there as snipers sought our life's blood.
     I hunkered down behind some crates and began to search for the hidden gunmen. After close observation, I determined two snipers were keeping us pinned down. One was on a metal landing twenty feet off the ground and about 100 feet away. I tried to get him in the cross-hairs without exposing my body. This was not possible so I quickly stood, sighted and shot. I saw the red dust fly and quickly ducked behind the crates again. Immediately a chunk of lead dug through a crate beside my head.  I stood again and killed the second sniper with a well-timed shot. Then I stood and walked to the first body, Washington close by me. I looked down at the dead man at my feet. He was just a lad, really, with a wispy blond mustache. I shook my head sadly. Powerful men, far away, intent on their own agendas and egos, had ordained that this man and I would duel tonight. One of us had to die.
    I turned the game off and sighed as I placed the tablet on my desk. As I walked to bed, I thought how much I had enjoyed the game called Modern Combat 3, Fallen Nation, (Level 7). Then I went to bed, at the author's green retreat. I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...