Skip to main content

New Games To Try: Halfbreed and Spearfishing 2

    Hey, everyone. As the weekend approaches, many of you are thinking about partying. Those of you who don't indulge, may want to try a new game or two. Here are a couple which I haven't played enough to review, really, but since they are free, why not check them out?
      Halfbreed- This is an interesting title. In the old days, folks who were half white and half Indian were called this name in a derogatory manner. (I am part Indian) In the case of this game, the person is, I believe, half earthling and half alien. The hero  awakens and is confronted by an alien. He thrusts out his hand in self-defense and bolts of electricity shoot out of his fingers and render the alien ...dead, I guess. The dude has no memory of the events that led him to this state so he sets out to find the answers to his questions. He finds himself in a strange land, with big green aliens who want to kill him. So, he starts blasting the monsters with electricity. He finds that they are coming from Spawners, a hut that looks like a Kiva. He starts to destroy the Kivas so that they can no longer spawn monsters. As the hero progresses, he acquires new super powers like the ray of repulsion which is for defense. This ray pushes creatures and objects away from you. The next power you receive is my favorite, the ability to fly for a short amount of time. Very cool.
     The graphics for this game are very good. It is a free game but you have to do the now-familiar in-app purchase for certain things. I have not played it enough to see if the in-apps are necessary to actually progress very far, so be advised of that. It seems like it may be fairly tough to beat. You can unlock ten super powers for 99 cents. I have always wanted to have super powers, but I have now matured to the point in which I now doubt that I will ever have them. Therefore, it is very tempting to buy the powers. For $1.99 you can unlock all ten levels of the game and all the super powers. I may try this tomorrow.
     Another free game which I am checking out is Spearfishing 2. I find this game rather cool. It is free, by the way, with the inevitable in-apps. In this game you are a skin diver who is doing some fishing with a speargun of the air-charged variety. The graphics are pretty cool, as you swim and dive and surface, all in a tropical lagoon. So, you are given little missions, such as 'kill 2 yellow-finned tuna'. I immediately ignore this command so that I can shoot a shark with my speargun. He gets a bit angry, as one might expect, and starts to munch on my hindquarters. I have not played it a great deal but you might want to check it out. There are several environments. They are unlocked as you progress, I suppose. Remember, I warned you that there are in-apps.
    I saw an article the other day in which someone projected that there would be 4.6 billion dollars in in-app purchases this year. We may have to start bonding together and refusing to buy the darn things. Just tell me up front what the game costs, okay? I was just playing Six Guns and I noticed that there was one in-app purchase that they wanted $99 for.??????
     By the way, I'd like to thank my reader for the comment I just received on my post titled  Apple Plays Violin While App Store Burns.
  From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio