Skip to main content

When Horses Eat Bark and Judge Dredd Strategy

    Hey, everyone. I was driving the other day when I passed a house that had about an acre of ground, fenced in. In the field were four horses. The horses were struggling with one another to get to a tree. The ones that were able to get close enough were chewing on the tree and aggressively eating the bark. The bark was gone from the tree, all the way around, up to a height of 5 or 6 feet. Something about it bothered me as I drove along.
    I pride myself in keeping my nose out of other peoples' business but I wonder if the horses had enough to eat. Perhaps the owner had neglected to provide enough hay. Perhaps the horses merely felt the need for some roughage in their diet. Perhaps the tree had made them mad by failing to provide shade. Perhaps the horses were demented and thought they were beavers.The tree was a white oak, I think. I was about 100 feet away and driving at about 50 MPH. Sometimes I worry about stupid things but I've always liked horses. I'd hate to think about them doing without food. Of course, there are plenty of people in the world doing without food as well. In fact, I have done without food many times, myself. Depressing.
    On a more cheerful note, let's talk about Judge Dredd. I am not talking about the rather bad movie starring Sly Stallone. He is one of my favorite actors but I think that many people have passed on this game because the movie was not that good. Judge Dredd Vs. Zombies is a hidden gem in the app store.
     This game has 3 sections with 10 levels per section. I actually talked about the game before but now it is time to strategize a bit. The game is free but you will need to spend about $1.99 to get into it in a serious way. Try the free version first. You'll find good graphics and fast paced gameplay. You are Judge Dredd and you have to deal with a zombie outbreak in various places. The year is 2112, I think, and you must fight a variety of zombies. There are huge, chubby zombies which literally explode when shot. Don't be standing close to them when you shoot them. There are normal zombies which can be killed with one blast from a shotgun. There are golden zombies which take two shots. Then there are zombies that take a multitude of shots. The upgrade money is earned by beating levels and the money is hard to come by. I advise paying to unlock all levels so that you can skip around and not be discouraged by the difficulty. The sooner you can upgrade to the shotgun, the better off you are. Keep your ammo reloaded, if you have to shoot a round or two into the air before entering rooms where zombies abound. Or, just tap the reload. When you pass a cache of ammo, walk over it to reload. There are first aid kits scattered about and you should be zealous of your health so that you don't die before completing levels.
    Above all, try to find a place where you can put your back to the wall as you fight. If you have zombies coming at you from multiple directions, you will probably die. Move back and forth as needed to buy time. As you fight, when you see that you are about to have to reload, advance toward the enemies, firing your shotgun and driving them backwards. Then, when you are helpless during the long seconds that your guy is reloading, you can drift slowly backwards away from the zombies, enduring no injuries until you are reloaded and ready to rock and roll.
     There are gas drums that will explode moments after you shoot into them. This, along with the huge exploding zombies are two innovative wepons at your disposal. Time things where there are multiple enemies close to these things, then fire and cause them to destroy enemies at a minimum of risk to yourself. As in most games, retreating while shooting is an excellent strategy.
      Each level has a rating. If you can advance with 3 stars, you get more money for upgrades like stamina, enhanced damage from bullets, and armor. They are stingy with this stuff and it is evident that they want to sell you things. So far I have sunk $1.99 into the game and I am about 50% through it. I have enjoyed the ride, even though in-apps make me want to bite a nail. When everything is said and done, this game is about as much fun as the law allows for a free game/ $1.99 game?
    Hey, on the second tier of levels you are fighting zombies who have taken over an old folks home. Since I am old I could be offended by this section, but it is funny. It is  called the B. Arthur Crock Block and I suspect that it is poking fun at the popular lady who is an elderly TV star. As you fight you'll pass rooms that are designated "Potte Rooms" and "Insensitive Care". A loudspeaker sounds off occasionally as you are fighting, with statements like "Don't be alarmed by the sounds of gunfire. It is for your safety and convenience". Classic. Your briefing, prior to entering this nursing home states that the workers first realized something was wrong when the residents didn't want a nap. I got a kick out of that because I am a nap fanatic. (See my post called, I.N.T. Intensive Nap Therapy.)
    After playing this game for a while, I'd have to rate it as 4 stars out of 5.
    From the zombie battleground, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...