Skip to main content

Game Review: Bullet Time HD

    Hey, everyone. Sometimes, as gamers, we fail to give a game adequate time to stir us and make us enjoy it. We fail to look past the initial minute or two. This is really a bit unfair and I have deleted a lot of games without giving them an adequate try-out.
    Tonight I played a game for several hours which I have had on my I-Pad for a month. I am having a good time with it. The title of the game is Bullet Time HD and it is a good one. Here's the recipe. You control  a guy by the name of John Irish and he is a mutant-killing, gun-shooting dude. He is evidently a denizen of some future Earth which we wouldn't want to be a part of. He starts in a shanty town, which is all that is left of a city. It is inhabited by mutants and they really have no decorating taste. Trust me on that. They have bridges made of sheet metal and they have gates that raise and lower by small generators. Like anyone would want to come and steal their crappy stuff. You have to start the generators and open gates to proceed, however. You must do this while shooting mutants, which is challenging. You are also on a quest to find and destroy the crates of supplies which the muties have stored around town. They are so stupid that they don't hide them very well. I suppose they are trusting in their cool gates. Ha, ha. You get silver and the occasional crystal for killing mutants and completing quests. These goodies can be used to upgrade weapons, abilities and add on stuff like armor and Clint Eastwood hats. Trust me on another thing, use your money to buy a pack of med kits. These heal you and if you have plenty of them, you can use one after each fight. This allows you to refrain from dying and having to start over from the last checkpoint. Thank God that it saves your progress at routine intervals. I bought a pack of 40 med packs and thay enabled me to get all the way to level 7 or 8 in Part 3. It's a lot of fun when you don't get stuck for a while. The silver and crystals which you earn through your barbarous destruction of mutated beings seems adequate to progress without buying stuff through in-app purchases. The game is free, by the way.
     A couple of weeks ago, I bought the game called M.U.S.E for a whopping $5.99 and it is not in the same class with this freebie. I'll tell you why. The graphics are good, even though the characters are a little small. The controls work well. (Started to say, "Work Good"). Somebody has put a lot of love into this game. It is evident from the little things you see. After you kick some bootee in shanty town, you enter this creepy forest. In front of a bar, you see somebody's long-handled underwear hanging out to dry. (Didn't know mutants wore underwear, but it is cool.) You are tasked with destroying 12 loathsome diseases which appear as blobs of crud on the ground. I felt like Dustin Hoffman in Outbreak when I blasted the stuff with a bazooka and left nothing but scorched ground. There are dinosaur bones bleaching in the sun and wraiths that rise from the dirt in a dark cloud. Dead men and skeletons sway in the breeze as they hang by nooses from trees.
    As you proceed there is spooky music to set the mood. When possible, retreat and shoot to minimize the damage to your body. You have big dragonflies which sting you and boss mutants who come hunting a butt whipping and you give it to them. Sometimes you will look over and see a coffin in the woods. Nice touch. Oh, about the med packs. If your screen says 40, tap the 40 and you will be healed as the number changes to 39. Now for the bad news.
    All you refugees from Shadowgun, listen up. I am now stuck on a level where there is a huge mechanical monster with a drill on his head. As if I haven't had my buttuskey kicked by the driller in Shadowgun enough to last me a lifetime! The driller in this game is supposed to be vulnerable to attack from the rear. Let me rephrase that. Shoot him in the back and he is easier to kill. I know, in the old west it was dishonorable to shoot a guy in the back. Here, it is okay, because mutants and robots are not people, see?
    Well, this game is free. You haven't downloaded it yet? Good night from the gamer's green retreat. I'm CE Wills.
P.S. This game also has on-line multi-player.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...