Skip to main content

Real Artists Sign Their Work

    Hey, everyone. My wife bought me the Steve Jobs biography for Christmas. I thought I'd give you some early impressions of Walter Isaacson's work even though I am not at the half-way point.
    To begin with, I almost never read biographies or autobiographies. On the rare occasions that I do, they typically bore me to tears. For this reason I determined just to open to a page here and there and read parts that I found interesting. Much to my surprise, about one flip did it. I just read and read about this fascinating man.
     Let me say that I have the utmost respect for the fact that Steve and his wife told their friends and others who were involved in this book to be absolutely honest with the writer during his research. This is so unusual for a biography and makes it informative and interesting. The book scarcely flatters Mr. Jobs, in most cases. It shows a brilliant, flawed, passionate individual. Except for his brilliance, good looks, success and a couple of billion dollars, I'd say that Steve reminds me of myself.
     It is clear that he would have been a pain in the butt to work for or around. During his hippie stage, for instance, he rarely bathed because he felt that eating fruits and veggies caused him not to stink, contrary to the testimonials of co-workers. There were times that he would soak his feet in the toilet, at work, to relieve stress.
     His capacity to B.S. himself about reality led to his denying the fatherhood for his daughter and other things that I'm sure he was not proud of as he aged. Most of us have an abundance of things we are ashamed of and that  doesn't put me off concerning people because I myself am so flawed.
    Let me relate one story that stood out to me of the many that Isaacson related. When Steve was head of the team that was designing the Macintosh PC, he drove the people under him to the point of distraction about the details. He made them redo the box for it about 50 times. Things on the inside of the computer, that no one would ever see, had to be perfect. He felt that a craftsman, if he made a dresser, would never nail a piece of plywood over the back of it, even though it would be turned toward the wall. When the team had finally nailed down all details of the design for the MAC, Steve called them into the office and had each one sign a sheet of draft paper. That sheet was impressed into the inside of the cabinet of each computer. Each member of the team, including Steve, knew that their name was inside every PC, along with an assurance of quality and attention to detail. Then, Steve toasted them with champagne and commented that "Real artists sign their work." It gave me cold chills when I read it.
     I walked into the other room and took my I-Pod out of my brief case and looked at it. I noted its simplistic, elegant design and heavy feeling of quality. Then I thought back over the pages I had read about Steve's obsession with the details of shape and materials, style and so forth. Then I had a profound thought. There is absolutely no way that Apple can be the same without him. I know he had a 5 year plan, with schedules for new devices. But, I don't think Apple can get better and I sincerely doubt that it can keep from going downhill. As much as I love my Apple gear, I don't think I'd buy Apple stock today.
    From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.
P.S. Carnivores, Ice Age is free right now. You should definitely grab this game for your I-Padster.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...