Skip to main content

The N.O.V.A. Game and Dallas

    Hey, everyone. What's up? I've been playing the original N.O.V.A. again. As I said the other night, it is easier to make progress on but with lesser graphics than NOVA 2. I just finished another level after getting down and dirty with a bunch of Xenos. Xenos are alien bad guys who like to say "Muk Ungamdi" a lot while they try to kill you. I think that term means "Your butt is mine" in Xeno language.
    Although I get killed now and again, I am making decent progress, which equals fun, on this $4.99 game. This game must have been released prior to some change was made to Webster's dictionary concerning the word easy. Now, evidently, the folks at Gameloft think easy means inch by bloody inch. @#^!**. That makes me angry.
    So, I have made it to another level of NOVA. There is some dude named Prometheus who calls me up on my Com Link and gives me a few titillating details about the spaceship that was destroyed. I don't know him, nor do I want to. He sounds like a computer that has become self-aware and if I didn't know better, I'd say that he is trying to make me distrust my allies in the Federation. I don't trust him. I bet that he is a spy for the Xenos. I may have to put a little Unk Mugandi on him if he rattles my cage.
     Today I had to jump from boulder to boulder in order to cross a river of green acid-water. I eventually made it, after several (20) tries, only to be greeted by a bunch of hairy, orange apes and storm trooper refugees from a Star Wars flick. Thank God that Darth Vader didn't show up. If he comes around and tells me that Unk Mugandi means that he is my father, I'm out of here. I'll go back to playing Pac-Man or Angry Birds.
    I downloaded a new game from the app store today called Inertia Jump. It is free and highly rated but so far I don't care too much for it. It is a platform type of game where you collect stuff for salvage and jump around, anti-graving over obstacles. I never criticize free stuff and I haven't given it enough time to critique it. So, you may want to try it for yourself. The graphics are certainly nice and you can't beat the price.
     I'm getting a little irritated with the way the app store is heading. Free, and paid, games in which you can't progress without spending on in-app purchases. People trying to get you to go to other sites to buy the in-apps, instead of the app store. One company that entices you to e-mail them, then sends you almost daily emails, even after you opt out of said emails. I deleted one game I didn't like, then had it reappear. I had to shut off Wi-Fi, then delete the game, go to Settings, Safari, Delete Cookies, before this game would stay deleted. When you toss in all the games which don't know the definition of easy, well, you can get a bit aggravated with the things being allowed to happen at the App Store. Will Apple allow unsavory characters to destroy their Billion dollar business? Perhaps.
    Speaking of unsavory characters. My wife and I started watching some DVD's of the old TV series called Dallas. For those younger persons out there, Dallas was the first night-time, prime-time, soap opera. The star was Larry Hagman as the diabolical J.R. Ewing, a Texas oilman, complete with the family from hell. There are more sub-plots than you can count and the character development is phenomenal. Back in the 1970's or 1980's I missed the first couple of seasons, so I bought Seasons 1 and 2. I even get a kick out of the fashions. It brings back a few memories. The show starts with the naive Bobby Ewing, J.R.'s little brother, bringing his new wife to South Fork Ranch outside of Dallas. She happens to be the sister of Cliff Barnes, a congressman and the Ewing's worst enemy. Needless to say, she is not warmly received. The evil J.R. immediately starts to sabotage the marriage.  This show made it cool to be the evil person in a drama. He started a genre which is popular today. You may recall when, at the end of one particular season, J.R. was shot and the cry went throughout America, "Who shot J.R.?" People had to wait to find out and folks were betting on his wife, Bobby, or a host of other people. In fact, Larry Hagman probably got abuse when he went out to eat because everybody hated J.R. Ewing so badly. When that happens an actor has done a phenomenal job.
    This show was noted for fantastic male and female 'eye-candy'. It also had a host of talented actors. I would guess that it was around this time that television censorship officially went to sleep, never to awaken, because there was a lot of provocative stuff in this series.
    Victoria Principal played Pam. She went on to appear, I think, in Playboy. Charlene Tilton played Lucy, the man-eater, and Lynda Grey starred as J.R.'s long suffering wife, Sue Ellen. The family trees in this one are as convoluted as the average brain.
    If you can watch a single episode without getting mad, you are the soul of patience. If you can watch two episodes without getting into an argument with your spouse, you're doing okay. This show is a real hoot, as they say around here, and in Dallas, Texas.
    From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is his AI, but Cybe