Skip to main content

The NFL Playoffs

    Hey, everyone. The NFL Playoffs start today. This is one of the few reasons that I still have a TV.
     I am excited about the playoffs this year. Firstly, the Falcons are playing, tomorrow at 1 PM. They play the Giants in New York. It should be a good game.
    Cincinnati returns to the playoffs, for the first time in several years, I think. I like to see different teams make it. They play Houston, in Texas. This is the first playoff appearance for the young Houston franchise, though the old Houston team, the Oilers, made it . I liked that old Oiler team; Luv Ya Blue, Bum Phillips and all that. It was a good time. Earl Campbell, what are you doing these days? One of the interesting facets of this game is that both sides have a rookie quarterback. How weird is that? Kids start playing ball when they're five years old and by the time they come out of college, they are more polished than they used to be. Unfortunately, I'm afraid a lot of them have a one dimensional  life. Of course, to be one of the best in the world at anything, you have to be quite dedicated. I found it refreshing to hear one of the Williams sisters (Tennis) comment that she wasn't that crazy about playing tennis. I can totally relate to that. I mean, wouldn't you just die for a cheeseburger every once in a while? The almost fanatical training programs of world class athletes doesn't leave room for splurging.
    In other playoff games, Pittsburgh goes to Denver to face the Broncos wicked defense and Tim Tebow. Let me say, I don't appreciate folks who make fun of Tebow's faith. That doesn't even sound American, really. Seems like this country was founded by people who were seeking religious freedom. I guess I am old-fashioned. As far as the game goes, I don't really have a dog in this fight, (I don't care who wins) but since Pittsburgh is always in the playoffs, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if Denver wins. I find it more exciting to see new blood in the Super Bowl.
    The Saints look like the team to beat, in my view. The Saints are a southern team, and I like New Orleans, but they won it all just two years ago. I hope Detroit beats them. Also, I don't like the way New Orleans put that 'high-low' hit on Brett Favre during the playoffs, when he was playing for Minnesota a few years ago. It is a hard thing to judge intent, but there you go. Detroit hasn't been to the playoffs for a while and I am tickled for them. (That's southern talk for I'm happy for them.) If they want to win they will have to harass Mr. Brees early and often. The same can be said for all the elite quarterbacks in the playoffs. Brady, Brees, Rogers, Manning.
    Hey, how about Peyton? I feel bad about this guy. I really think a lot of him. I hope he retires if it means that he will be able to live a normal life. He is a terrific guy. Funny. He builds a hospital for children and suddenly he suffers a neck injury. The forces of good and evil battle, on and off the football field. Whatever your view of the universe, you must believe that there are forces on both sides. I remember seeing a play, just last year or late the season before, where Peyton was on the ground and a linebacker speared him in the neck with his helmet. I remember thinking, "Wow, cheap hit. Hope he gets back up." Make no mistake, when it gets playoff time, primo quarterbacks have a target on them. One more thing about Peyton. Is it okay for the people in Indy to treat him so cavalierly about his future with the team? I mean, the guy has been 'the guy' up there. Then he gets hurt and you start putting up signs for Andrew Luck? I don't know. I'm just saying, how does that make Manning feel? Plus, if you think that Andrew Luck is a lock to be as good as Peyton, well, lots of luck. I've watched pro football since 1958 and I can tell you that Manning is among the top ten quarterbacks of all time. I have never seen anyone who is more accurate. Lets not toss him aside like a used ******. Treat the man with respect.
     Remember a few years ago, (more than a few) when Carson Palmer got hurt, either in the playoffs or just before the playoffs started? I hated to see that. It is rare indeed when a team like Houston can go to their second and third string QB and still make the playoffs. Is it their year or something? (Houston, I mean)
    I know you'll laugh but I don't think the Packers will go all the way this year. It is so hard to repeat as champs. It's hard to keep the zeal and the fire over the long haul. You have played 24 games the year before, then turn around and try to play 24 more. Plus, everyone gives you their best shot. Then you have the media glare on you, all the guys want more money, egos may get involved. It is just tough. They are certainly good enough, though. I remember, when I was a kid. The Packers were so tough under Lombardi and I was a Colts fan. Man, I didn't like the Packers at all. Nothing personal, they just beat up on my team a lot.
    Well, now that I've made everybody in America mad by talking about their respective teams, I'll sign off. If the Falcons get beaten tomorrow, I may play Shadowgun next weekend.
    From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio