Skip to main content

Apple Plays Violin While App Store Burns

     Hey, everyone. I am a close observer of gaming apps on the store. The crooks and marketers are ruining this gaming platform. I was reading a review of a game this morning on the store and saw one guy that mentioned that he was going to start playing games on a different platform due to in-app purchases. This reminds me of the furniture industry. Years ago, they started to advertise dining room furniture for a certain price, then the customer would discover that he had to buy the chairs separately from the table. The same was true for bedroom stuff. Buy the bed, you get a frame. Then buy the mattress, box spring, night stand, etc. Well, some of the greedy folks who have been driven away from selling used cars and satellite dishes are now hip-deep in the app store.
     You buy a game that is often hyped up by reviewers, then you play it a bit. You find that you can't progress without buying a weapon or armor with more cash. Then you get an update that places adds on your paid-for game. Other games have a full page add on the front of the game you just paid for. Some games sell you the ability to skip a few levels without beating them. This is a game I paid for; I should be able to play any level, any time I want. What started as the 'freemium model', where a game was free because it had adds or in-app purchases, has, through boldness, deteriorated to the point where you pay $5.99 for a game and can't advance far without in-apps. Where will it end? The marketers will never rest until they can make $50 out of their 'premium' games.
     If you consider the fact that most of the games which you buy can't be beaten, even on the easy level, why should I go out and buy the I-Pad 3 when it comes out? I am sick of the scammers. I'll just keep my I-Pad 2 and wait  about buying any new games until there are sufficient reviews out there on the store, so that I won't get ripped off so much. ( If an app has less than 40 reviews, don't trust the rating. The developer's relatives may be writing the 5 star reviews.)
      There are a lot of review sites who have made friends in the developers' camps. Certain game developers can put out the worst crap imaginable and get a good review.  I am tempted to mention a few names but I suppose I had  better not.
    One guy claims that he hit the help button in a game and he was sent to a full page add for something on another site. The other day I bought a game. It asked to be allowed to send me 'push notifications'. I clicked 'don't allow'. Sure enough, I went to my 'settings' page and the game had changed my settings so that it did indeed send me 'alerts'.
     I am only covering a few of the many things that are happening to the app store. There are other things that have slipped my mind for the moment. It takes a while for a prosperous city like Rome to burn. Apple is presently on top of the world. Doubtless, it will take some time for it to be consumed. It is a fact that you can't leave things untended. Choices have to be made and standards kept. Above all, you have to treat consumers fairly. Most of us will put up with a lot before we tune out. Ask the satellite TV and cable industries, which are currently pricing themselves out of existence. I wouldn't invest in a lot of sports-related things either. Greedy marketers are ruining a lot of businesses.
    About a year ago, my wife and I were talking about the app store and the great games at low prices. We talked about how the environment was good and you could trust that the developers would treat you fairly. Cool. Then one of us remarked that, by the very nature of things, someone would have to mess it up. We began to see the in-apps and a lot of other things. Parents were raising a storm over smurfberries being purchased by their little kids and bullets being bought as in-apps. Apple took steps to correct some of these issues. Other problems remain. Hey, that's okay. History tells us that Nero played the violin while Rome burned. No big deal. By the time anyone with authority notices the problems, the damage will be irreversible.
      From the old, crabby gamer at the green retreat, I'm CE Wills.
P.S. I know that this is a mandolin in the picture, but I don't own a violin.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio