Skip to main content

Book Review: The Road

    Hey, everyone. I thought that after the frivolous post about the rainbow pig, it would be a good time to get serious. So, what is more serious than a post-apocalyptic sci-fi novel by Cormac McCarthy? The title is The Road.
    This was the first novel that I've read by this author. He has an odd style in many ways, but I like him. His brevity is admirable. It is impossible to read this book without feeling a tug at your heart.
    The story takes place in the aftermath of a nuclear war. A man and his young son are trying to travel south on the highways of a post-apocalyptic country. They are heading south because of the cold weather caused by an atmosphere shrouded in ash. The man realizes they can never survive the winter in the northern climes.
    They have no car, bicycle or vehicle of any kind. Their few belongings are stuck in a grocery store shopping cart which they have salvaged. They are faced with the daunting task of walking hundreds of miles.
     There are few survivors of the war. There is no electricity, gas, or law enforcement. There is no government. The only survivors are packs  of men that seem barely human, having resorted to cannibalism to survive.
    The man and his son are never given a name in this book. Neither is anyone else. Name another book that does that!
    The tale of an existence scratched out by a man and boy, scavengers in a bleak and dying world, is certainly grim. It is compelling on several levels. As a father I can tell you that it grabs you hard because nothing is as scary as failing to provide for your kids, whether its food, shoes or safety.
    As a young person, I've been on the road; broke and sleeping in ditches. I've had to deal with aggressive people. This book brought back many memories of difficult travels.
    This book should be 'required reading' for all those folks who, due to their high office, have their finger on Armageddon's trigger. There are consequences for aggression. I rate this book as 4 stars out of 5.
    From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.
PS: Yes, this is now a movie, but I haven't seen it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...