Skip to main content

Movie Review: The Adjustment Bureau

    Hey, movie lovers. My wife and I went to see the new movie entitled The Adjustment Bureau. It is a love story combined with a sci-fi twist. It is derived from a novel by the noted author, Phillip K. Dick.
     Matt Damon is in the lead role and does an awesome job as David Norris, a congressman who is running for a Senate seat in New York. He meets a lady named Elise, a ballet dancer who is played by the devastating Emily Blunt. Love her accent. David and Elise fall in love almost at once. The bad news is that there are forces at work which do not approve of their love. These forces bring a supernatural element into the love story.
    The sci-fi part of the movie is a bit silly. There are these guys that wear really stupid hats which have been manipulating the planet's affairs for centuries. Their intentions are benign but the results are often cruel. Sounds like parents, right? They have plans for David to be the President of the United States and they can't abide a curvy young lady distracting their unwitting protege from 'the plan'. So the two lovers face tremendous opposition to their love from some of the master manipulators of all time.
    The rather silly sci-fi part of the flick is wonderfully saved by a terrific romance. The movie struck a chord with me, and judging from the sniffles, from many in the crowd at the theater. It is unfortunate when parents and friends try to control a person's love life and try to make the most important life choices for them. It smells a bit like a God complex when you have the desire to pick someone's mate. How many folks down through history have had their lives ruined by such people. My wife and I faced such issues during our dating relationship. Perhaps for this reason, the movie hit deeply with me. There are arch plotters that are not from another planet. They masquerade as relatives and friends. Furthermore, having been denied happiness themselves, they cannot abide to see love or happiness or passion. They don't wear stupid hats, either.
    The bottom line is don't let anyone pick your nose, your friends, your life goals or work and certainly not the love of your life. If you allow this you have so little character that your life will be a pale shadow of what it could have been.
     This movie is probably 4 stars out of 4, if you can overlook the science fiction part and come away with the essence of the story.  That essence is the fire shut up in your bones when you are in love. If you are going to a show tonight take your girl to see it.
    From the green retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...