Skip to main content

The I-Pad 2 And My Iron Resolve

    On rare occasions I demonstrate such self-discipline that I feel I must boast just a little. Today is one of those days. Knowing full well that the second generation I-Pad was emerging from its cocoon today I resisted the temptation to buy one until 5:03 PM local time. A lesser man would have doubtless had one earlier. I was told by a guy that was in front of me in line that the Apple store had a line that was out the door of the store and out of the door at the mall as well.
    Of course Apple takes care of their own stores first, as far as available inventory goes, but when I went to the local Wal-Mart I was told that they were supposed to get a total of seven I-Pad 2's but the shipment did not come in. So my wife and I went to another Wal-Mart and were assured that their shipment had indeed arrived. Unfortunately they had only received seven total. Four 16 Gig WiFi only, in the black, one 32 Gig WiFi only, and two 64 Gig WiFi only. In other words, none of them had the 3G connection chip whereby a guy could get on line like a cell phone. This did not bother me because I have no interest in another monthly payment to the cell phone people. I will use it just like the previous version. I will do my on-line stuff at home and that will be fine.
     We were second in line, after only forty minutes of waiting for the deadline of 5 PM. I bought a 64 Gig, in black, with a grey Smart Cover which is pretty cool. You should go to the Apple store and watch the video about the Smart Cover.
    Talked to some really nice folks while waiting in line. Funny how 'getting your geek on' tends to make friends of strangers. The lady behind us in line was a writer named Beverly Connor; she was very nice. I plan on finding her books and buying one. The guy in front of us was a really nice guy and he made the time fly as we chatted about all things I-Pad. He was one of those folks who had decided to wait and buy the second generation device. I assured him that he would love it.
    Right now I am sitting at my desk and typing this on my first I-Pad while my new one is in the process of loading up all the apps from my PC. It is taking a long time to download over 2000 pictures, 2500 songs, 350 books, almost 200 games and numerous other apps. The total in Gigs is a whopping 31 Gigs of my new 64 Gig stash. Probably good that I bought the 64 Gig version, especially considering the fact that this thing records video and all that. Incredibly, the ebooks are a tiny part of the total Gigs. Actually .02 Gig to be exact.
    I have been sitting here and sipping a very modest amount of beer as I watch the download process. This is a blatant lie. Because of this, it is doubtful that I will get any sort of a review done tonight. We went to Outback Steak House and ate an obscene amount of food after the I-Pad foray, then we went and saw the latest Matt Damon flick which is entitled The Adjustment Bureau. I will do a review of the movie and talk about the I-Pad 2 as the weekend progresses. In the mean time rejoice with me that I was able to resist the urge to spend impulsively on a device which I did not need.
    From the Man of Steel, here at the green retreat. I am CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio