Skip to main content

Movie Review: The Box

    Wow! I just watched a freakazoid movie on TV. The name of it is The Box, with Cameron Diaz.  Most of you have probably already seen it but here's the recipe. A strange guy brings a box to a couple's home in Virginia. He leaves the box on their doorstep. Inside the box is a smaller box with a glass cover. Underneath the glass cover is a red pushbutton. There is a note with the box that indicates a Mr. Steward will drop by at 5PM the following day. Well, Mr. Steward does indeed drop by.
      Mr. Steward tells Cameron Diaz that if she pushes the button within 24 hours, he will give her a cool million in cash, but alas, one person she does not know, somewhere in the world, will die. Sort of the ultimate chain letter. The writer certainly has your attention at this point. Of course, moral dilemma or not, it wouldn't be a show if they didn't hit the button. We are a few minutes into the movie at this time and it hasn't started to get freaky at this point, trust me.
     I'll pause here to prevent giving away too much. This movie is basically a well-disguised horror movie with relatively mild blood and mayhem. It is, whether you like it or not, a compelling mystery. By the time it was half over I had made and discarded half a dozen theories about the mysterious owners of the box.
    Because I don't like scary movies, I can only give this show 2.5 stars out of 5. I have to admit, for mystery and intrigue alone, for someone who likes freaky movies, it deserves a 4 stars out of 5 rating. Watch it if you like. Don't expect a lot of laughs.
     CE Wills.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...