Skip to main content

Movie Review: The Lincoln Lawyer

    Hey, everyone. My wife and I went out to eat today and attended a movie. Like nearly all women on earth, my wife likes Matthew McConaughey. It is an added treat for her if she can see him in a good movie. The Lincoln Lawyer is a solid flick and quite entertaining.
    Is it a fast-paced action film with violence and car chases? No. Is it a romance for the ages? No. Does it have nail-biting suspense? No. What it does have is an interesting story by Michael Connelly, several excellent actors plying their craft and a couple of hours of entertainment. My wife rates it as 3 stars out of 4. I would have to concur.
    Matthew McConaughey does a good job as defense lawyer Mickey Haller. He's a smooth operator who operates his practice out of his Lincoln Town Car. In a curious coincidence, on the way to the theater I was behind a Lincoln and the 'T' was broken off the emblem so that all you saw was OWN CAR. Funny, right? Anyway, Mick has a lot of questionable clients. He is about to have one that is far more than questionable. Enter Ryan Philippe as spoiled rich kid, Louis Roulet. Louis has been arrested for the brutal assault of a young lady of dubious morals. As Mick wields his legal talents like a swordsman wields his blade, it becomes apparent that Louis may be involved in one of Mick's former cases. Is Mr. Roulet a brilliant killer whose thrill is manipulating the legal system and career criminals; or is he merely the pampered heir of a ruthless mother? Before he finds out the truth, Mick's own family and friends may have to pay the price for his success and his failure. Cryptic, I know, but it's not my job to spoil the plot.
   The talented William H. Macy plays the part of Mick's faithful Investigator. He does his usual solid job and I like him in the hippie 'do. I'm used to seeing him with short hair but long hair suits him.
    Is this one that could wait until it comes out on Net-Flix? Yeah, it is. Is it a good show and part of a nice evening out? Sure. Remember this, my male readers. If your lady is willing to pretend that you are going to see an Angelina Jolie movie for the plot, you can certainly smile and enjoy this movie. I'm not saying Angelina's movies don't have a good plot, I'm just saying eye candy comes in a lot of flavors, from a black business suit all the way to black lingerie.
    Back in the wilderness, I'm CE Wills.
PS: If you get a chance, try a show on the FX network called Justified. It comes on Wednesday nights at 10 PM, eastern. It's about a Kentucky lawman played by Tim Olyphant and does this show have a cast of bizarre characters? I guess. More about this series later. Goodnight! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio