Skip to main content

Cheap Thrills: Three For Free (Games For I-Pad)

   Hey, everyone. If you're like me, you appreciate free games. I don't mind buying them, but it's nice to try the free version first. Here's a few freebies that I've tried lately.
1. Operation Wow HD. This is like an arcade game from the 1980's. It's a shooter game in which this array of bad guys run past your position. To kill them you merely tap them with your finger. When you do, you hear a shot and a bullet hole appears in their anatomy. There are a lot of soldiers as well as helicopters and other miscreants. One neat thing about it, there are harmless civilians who you must not harm. People like nurses with patients and others. It surprises me when a duck or piggie comes walking past. You get rewards for shooting some of these animals. The game is easy, to start with at least, but it can get frantic really fast. One has to wonder how soldiers are able to refrain from shooting innocent bystanders in the frantic pace of actual combat.
   There is an extended pack for $1.99. This game is a lot of fun for free and is good for a casual time killer at the doctor's office. You can use several fingers at once to shoot things. If you do this at the library, like I did, folks may find you amusing.
    The graphics are crisp and clear. For a free game, I certainly couldn't complain.
2. Marine Sharpshooter. You guys know me. I love shooter games. Here's one you may like. In this game you are sent out on various missions. You have a sniper rifle with scope. You go to a good rest position and take out the terrorists. You have a suggested order of kills due to the danger that each of the guards pose to you. It seems to be a norm that the targets with a higher elevation are first to feel your wrath. Either them or a guy with a machine gun emplacement. It's fun and free, which is music to me.
     The full version is $1.99. There are 5 major missions, a choice of weapons and even hostage rescue scenarios. I understand that you have to shoot the guy with the hostage first in those situations to prevent him from killing the innocent person. Some of the reviews on the app store slam this game. Firstly, I don't slam anything which is free. Secondly, it's a pretty darn good game.
3. MotoTrialz. A few weeks ago, I tried a similar free game called Trial X. For free games they are both good. I may give Mototrialz a slight edge. You are a motorcross cycle person who is willing to ride over anything.There are 27 levels with moving platforms, obstacles, jumps, warehouses. You jump over cars and have some pretty scary looking crashes. As an older guy I wince just a little when I see the little dude go flying through the air and misjudge his head clearance on an obstacle. Every chiropractor should try this game. Then they could hang out at the venue where similar sporting events are held and sign up new clientele. Oops! I just went over to the app store and this one is now 99 cents. You snooze, you lose. Since I erred about this one being free I'll toss in another one. See below.
4. Flying Hamster HD, Free. This game is more of a kid's game but it is so darn cute and well done that even an old shooter fan like myself can enjoy it. The graphics are crisp and clear, the characters are bizarre and it's just cool. The paid version is a bit pricey at $3.99. I'd certainly download the free one and try it first. Here's the recipe for the game. You are a hamster that can fly and you cruise along and encounter bad guys like a cow that shoots milk at you, (may cause nightmares) or a Penguin who is dressed as a Pharaoh. Yeah, weird.  The problem is that when you lose, you have to start at the beginning. I feel certain that the developers will fix that, since the reviews on the app store mentioned it. Again, for free this is a cool game.
    Well, it's the weekend, so let's get out there and go to see X-Men, First Class at the theater. But if you're home-bound or on a budget, thanks to the oil barons, pick up some freebies from the old app store. Catch you tomorrow, probably. I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...