Skip to main content

Driving Through The Wildfire

    Hey, everyone. Back during the 1980's I lived in Kansas for several years. I was working a contract job out there. I had a new Subaru, four wheel drive car. We liked to drive to Kansas City or Wichita, go to a mall, normal family stuff. Our kids were young and looking back, Carley and I were just kids ourselves.
    One weekend we were cruising out I-35 toward Wichita. It had been really dry for a while. The landscape is extremely flat, as you know. The wind blows perpetually, usually 30 miles an hour, maybe only 20 at night. It's not all that unusual to see tractor trailers laid on their side. Kansas is surely an elemental place to live.
    On this particular day we saw rolling clouds of smoke that were beginning to obscure the sun. We could see the smoke for 20 miles before we got to it. We came to a roadblock. There were fewer cars on the road in those years and this was certainly true of this remote place between Topeka and Wichita. I rolled down my window to converse with a State Trooper at the roadblock. He was tall, polite and middle aged. He wore a crew cut and had flashing blue eyes that looked at me and then swept over the boys in the backseat, then to my wife and finally back to me. He had the look. You know, that look in the eyes that says, "I've seen a lot of trouble and there's not much that  shakes my tree". He looked to the west into the rolling, massive wall of smoke.
    "We have a wildfire that is being pushed by this wind. The wind is strong enough that the fire has jumped the Interstate and is rolling on to the north."
      I said, "Should I go back?"
    He flashed a smile. He looked at me as if gauging me.
    "I figure that you can make it. It might be a bit exciting to you. But see here, youngster, whatever you do, don't stop in the fire. Just keep going. You hear me okay on that?" He glanced at the boys again.
    "Yes, sir. I hear you."
    We drove on through the roadblock and entered the thick smoke. The smoke was thicker, probably, than any fog I've driven through.  We had our windows up and air conditioning on but the smell of burned vegetation was overpowering. I could feel heat beginning to scorch my face on the left side, which was to the south. The fire was coming from that direction. We are talking about miles of this scenario. I would guess the fire covered an area of twenty miles, up and down the interstate. My speed was necessarily slow because I couldn't see very well but I drove faster than was safe due to the trooper's admonition not to stop. I knew that we had reached the actual fire when things got much brighter. Then I saw a wall of flames that was rolling over 4 lanes of road plus the medium. It was not in contact with the road because there was nothing there to burn. We drove through a tunnel of flames for a few miles and I let no grass grow under me, you can bet.
     The heat got a little scary. I had dedicated my life to keeping my family out of dangerous situations and now our trip had put them in harm's way. It was with a thankful heart that I saw the flames disappear and the smoke receding in the rear view mirror. We arrived in Wichita in good spirits and ate well, played video games, shopped and saw a movie.
     I have had some fire fighting training. The asbestos suit, setting burn pits full of kerosene on fire, then walking right up to the pit under the cooling cover of a fire hose on full fog. Then you let the flames roll all the way over you. This is to learn to trust your spray and your hose man. I have crawled through smoke trailers in full dress-out when it was 100 degrees outside. They have pipes to crawl over and under when you can't see a thing. There are moving floors and dead ends. Lots of fun, especially if you go to the hospital for heat prostration. Then you get into a real-life situation where you have to fight a fire in an electrical board room, in total darkness, with a Scott air-pack on, deep in the bowels of a nuclear plant at 2 o'clock in the morning. The thing is, all that is a joke compared to worrying about your family in a fire situation. Not all that bad an experience, but it could have been. Just a little more salt and pepper on the dish of life.
    From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is his AI, but Cybe