Skip to main content

Ode To Billie Joe

    Hey, everyone. It's a stormy night and I'm up late. I'm sipping a bit of red wine as I begin this latest blog post.
    Just as an aside, there is an app on the App store that you can download for free. This app will enable you to watch concerts that will be held in London every night during July. The name of the app is I-Tunes Festival, London. I have to admit that most of the groups are too modern for me to be familiar with them, but that doesn't mean they won't be any good. They are probably very famous for those whose music tastes are arrayed in the present century. The main reason I got the app was because of the very first act on July 1st. Paul Simon, the terrific songwriter and musician leads off these concerts and I fully intend to watch him.
    I should mention another cool app that is available. It's titled Science 360 For I-Pad. This app is very highly rated and the reason is simple. It's free and it's good. Here's the recipe. You have a wall full of cool pictures about animals, inventions and other phenomena. You click on any of them to see a story or video of scientific significance. If you even remotely like science, this is a must have. Like I said, it's free, so why not indulge? I will say that those of you who do the 3G thing should be aware that this app uses a lot of bytes. There is actually a warning to that effect when you open it.
    At one time, the best selling record of all time was a mammoth hit by the name of Ode To Billie Joe. This song came out in July 1967. I was a teen at the time and I certainly remember it well. It was so popular that you literally could not turn on the radio without hearing it.
    It was the third of June, another sleepy dusty Delta day.
    I was out choppin' cotton and my brother was bailing hay.
    The song was written by an attractive young lady by the name of Bobbie Gentry. She was from Chickasaw County, Mississippi. It hit #1 in the U.S. and won three Grammies. It sold three million copies. I had the single on a 45 and still remember the odd color combination of the label, which was orange and yellow in a sort of yin/yang design.
    The theme of the song is this. As a family goes about their routine day, they are eating supper and someone remarks that Billie Joe McCallister jumped off the Tallahatchie Bridge. This bridge crossed the Mississippi at a place called Money, Mississippi. This is fitting because the song certainly made a lot of money. It is mentioned that the teenage girl of this family was seen with Billie Joe prior to his demise, and they were throwing something off the bridge. This is where the mystery and intrigue starts.
    1. Why did Billie Joe commit suicide?
    2. Were the girl and Billie Joe involved?
    3. Did they break up, which led to his death?
    4. Was their relationship frowned upon due to racial bias?
    5. What were they throwing off the bridge?
    6. Why did the young preacher rat the girl out? Was he sweet on the girl himself?
    7. Is this story rooted in actual events?
    Well, I got most of this information from Wikipedia, but I have drawn my own conclusions. Before I reveal these, let me tell you a bit more. There was a movie made about this song in 1976. I haven't seen it. The song was left a mystery which many believe is the reason for it's popularity. Bobbie Gentry told someone that the song meant nothing, that she had just made it up. Could it have been a fragment of the writer's own life? That seems unlikely. Hey, I like conspiracy theories and all that. But I figure that it's like the songwriter Don McLean said about his monster hit titled American Pie. When asked what the song meant, he smiled and said, "It means I never have to work again."
     If you have time, check out the song, Ode To Billie Joe. If you've never heard it, try American Pie also.
    From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is his AI, but Cybe