Skip to main content

Yet More, New and Free I-Pad Games

    Hey, everyone. There's several sales on for IOS games this weekend but I want to talk about a few free games that we've been playing here at the green retreat.
1. 4 Elements HD. This is a puzzle game with a twist or two. This game has match-three stuff and hidden object searches. Then, at times you must find the differences between two cards. This game has extremely crisp graphics and animations. Hence the HD in the title. Plus, the game has great depth. By this I mean that you can play this thing for a long time. Someone has worked their butt off on this thing. Your mission is to travel from world to world and unlock the secrets of the 4 elements of earth, wind, fire and water. My wife got this free game today and has played it for at least 4 hours. She insists that she will buy it as soon as she plays all the way through the free version. The full version is a bit pricey at $4.99 but it is extremely well done.  Even a puzzle hater like myself can like this game.
2. Brickshooter Egypt. This freebie is pretty good, according to my puzzle consultant, but it is not as good as 4 elements. They are both made by Playrix. This game is also $4.99 for the full version and the free game doesn't last as long. You certainly can't blame them for trying to make money. I appreciate the opportunity to try before I buy and I certainly buy my share.
3. We Thieves HD. Cute and fun game. You are tasked with helping these critters escape from different places, like dungeons and prisons. The critters make some funny noises and the colors, animations and graphics are impressive. The puzzles are fairly tough and my puzzle guru tells me that level 23 can not be beaten and the company should fix it. You'll like it.
4. Puzzle Planet. This game is basically a jigsaw puzzle game for I-Pad. The colors and graphics are very good and any jigsaw person will dig it. I, a true shooter person, despise it. Not really, just trying to sound macho. Carley likes it, of course. For free it is a no-brainer. The pictures that you create are quite nice.
     I just noticed that all these games are for puzzle people. I think that the number of outstanding puzzle games on the app store is amazing. The number of excellent shooter games is very small. As with everything else in life, if you find an outstanding thing, cling to it, seek it out and make it yours. Whether it be a friend, a woman, a game , a book, a movie, a car or a tool. There are precious few really quality things on this planet. Trust me.
    I have been watching Justified tonight. It is the series on TV starring Timothy Oliphant as a U.S. Marshall. I think that the series is on FX but I got the first season from NetFlix and it is really good. The setting is modern day Kentucky and Marshall Raylon Givens has to deal with a truly motley assortment of folks. Many of them, I promise you, are people I grew up with. Just kidding. Trust me on this one, guys. You need to watch this series and start with season one.
    If any of you have any influence over at Rage.com or Carnivores tell those folks to churn out a new shooter game fast. I may soon be reduced to playing word games or puzzles. By the way, I know I have a lot of folks who read the blog that are just now getting into gaming. As you browse the app store and the web look for these terms.
1. FPS. This means a first person shooter. Sort of like the aforementioned Raylon Givens. Ha, ha. You basically shoot things.
2.TD. This is a tower defense game. A bit more strategic, as you strive to defend a castle or something. Plants vs. Zombies is one of the very few I really love.
3. RPG. This is a role-playing game. You choose your character, armor, weapons etc. Boring for me, dearly beloved by a sizable segment of society.
    Besides this you have sports games, word games and the puzzle games which actually expect you to use your mind, instead of blowing things up. There is a large segment of our society that live in this sphere. Flying planes and helicopters, well, they must not have a good lobbyist because they get clumped into the action or adventure genre. I just thought I'd let you know about these abbreviations as it took me a long time to figure them out.
   From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.
P.S. Carley just bought that game titled 4 Elements. She says to tell you guys that if you like the game, don't play all the way through the free part before you buy because you will just have to turn around and play that part again. When the I-Cloud feature is in action, later this year, you will probably not have to do that sort of thing. More on I-Cloud later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is his AI, but Cybe